Objectivism Online Forum

Recommendations for an aspiring writer and O'ist?

Rate this topic

I have decided, having read through The Fountainhead and doing some soul-searching, that I want to become a writer/philosopher. I have always loved creating new worlds, and observing the world we live in. And the only philosophy that has provided me with the optimism to live life the way I want to live is Objectivism.

my next question is, where to start? My dad is really pushing for the Ludwig Von Mises institute in Auburn, but I know I can do better than that. As an aspiring writer and Objectivist, what would everyone recommend to me?

How sincerly would I love to be able to have a conversation with Leonard Peikoff...

I have decided, having read through The Fountainhead and doing some soul-searching, that I want to become a writer/philosopher.  As an aspiring writer and Objectivist, what would everyone recommend to me?

How sincerly would I love to be able to have a conversation with Leonard Peikoff...

ARI offers undergraduate and graduate coursework, not accredited, but you can take them with a regular philosophy major. I plan to (first BS in Business-then Masters and hopefully doctorate in philosophy and or literature) apply this year. Applications are taken April to Sept. Check ARI Undergraduate Info

I suggest you delve into everything. There is a wealth of information at you local library, I suggest you start there. I don't know what your highschool education is like, but I suggest taking as many liberal art classes as possible. Do everything from physics to history to math to communications, and of course: philosophy and logic courses.

I personally believe having a solid grasp on the worlds workings is a vital foundation for any aspiring philosopher (or any other proffession for that matter). I believe Ayn Rand would agree, as I remember hearing that she took history, and writing classes throughout college.

You will find that if you create a mindframe that includes all information as important, no matter how trivial it may seem, you will establish a greater interest in all subject matters you choose to pursue. You will also find that it is easier to remember "dull" subjects when you create an interest for them.

I would personally go to an accredited college, and if you wish, simultanously take classes at a school such as ARI. For now though, suck up all the information you can. This forum is a great place to start testing your ideas. :)

I'm in college right now, and my school (the Citadel) is a liberal arts college (though it has a school of engineering) I am a business major who realized he wanted to be a writer too late to change majors. I intent to make all my non-departmental electives English or philosophy classes. I am already taking two philosophy classes this semester. My main concern is now getting a proper education in Objectivist philosophy, and in the arts of Romanticism and Romantic writing. Of course I own the Romantic Manifesto and The Art of Fiction, I am looking for a more formal education in the manner.