Objectivism Online Forum

Point Of No Return?

Rate this topic

gnargtharst

In another thread, it was suggested that our society has reached a "point of no return", meaning that the downward slide toward totalitarianism was irreversible.

I think I recall Rand mentioning that the last and crucial element of a point of no return was censorship, at which point the ideas which could save us would be silenced.

While there certainly is a degree of censorship in our society today, (via FCC, campaign donation limits, etc.), but I dont' think we're anywhere near a "point of no return".

Agree? Disagree?

Edited by gnargtharst

In another thread, it was suggested that our society has reached a "point of no return", meaning that the downward slide toward totalitarianism was irreversible.

[...]

Agree? Disagree?

My only contribution at this stage is to suggest preliminary questions that should be answered before the main question -- a very pertinent one -- can be answered:

1. What does "point of no return" mean in relation to the direction of a culture, society, and political system? What is it and how does one know that a culture, society, and political system have reached it -- that is, what criteria must be met?

2. More fundamentally, what causes a culture, society, or political system to be what it is and to be moving in a certain direction?

3. As a corollary of the first two questions, what must be done to change the direction of a culture?

4. Further, to keep the discussion focused, defining "our society" would help. This forum is an international forum, so I assume "our society" refers to Western Civilization in general and that it is most evident in countries such as the U. S., Canada, Australia, England, and the European Union -- in varying degrees.

Edited by BurgessLau

When I look at the world of (say) 20 years ago and the world today, I see much that is improved, not just in the U.S.A. but around the globe. Ofcourse there are things that have become worse -- the whole environmental movement, the rise of the religious right in the U.S., and so on. However, on balance, the world is more free, and it is also richer.

Burgess Laughlin wrote:

"1. What does "point of no return" mean in relation to the direction of a culture, society, and political system? What is it and how does one know that a culture, society, and political system have reached it -- that is, what criteria must be met?"

I'd say that when large numbers of innocent people are killed or imprisoned, that's a clear-cut criteria signalling totalitarian dictatorship.

"2. More fundamentally, what causes a culture, society, or political system to be what it is and to be moving in a certain direction?"

Ultimately, philosophy.

"3. As a corollary of the first two questions, what must be done to change the direction of a culture?"

Change the underlying philosophy within the culture. Primarily, the philosophic ideas coming out of universities.

"4. Further, to keep the discussion focused, defining "our society" would help. This forum is an international forum, so I assume "our society" refers to Western Civilization in general and that it is most evident in countries such as the U. S., Canada, Australia, England, and the European Union -- in varying degrees."

I meant for "our society" to refer to the United States. There's nothing wrong with considering those others, of course, but for simplicity, I mentally isolated the US. Presumably, there's not likely a philosophical movement that will affect Canada, but not Australia, e.g.