Objectivism Online Forum

Psychological Fixation

Rate this topic

I am having this problem. For a while, I was successful in identifying my emotions and correcting false ideas. Lately, however, I am having a problem on a sensory level. It's hard to describe, but it feels like a oil slick. Its kind of a murkiness; this sense that is clouding my judgment. I am unable to see in the long range, its a corruption. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

I am having this problem. For a while, I was successful in identifying my emotions and correcting false ideas. Lately, however, I am having a problem on a sensory level. It's hard to describe, but it feels like a oil slick. Its kind of a murkiness; this sense that is clouding my judgment. I am unable to see in the long range, its a corruption. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

You said the problem lies at the sensory level, but then you say that the problem is clouding your judgement and hampers your ability to see long range - both of which are conceptual abilities. So which is it: conceptual or sensory?

EDIT: For clarification.

You said the problem lies at the sensory level, but then you say that the problem is clouding your judgement and hampers your ability to see long range - both of which are conceptual abilities. So which is it: conceptual or sensory?

EDIT: For clarification.

I honestly am not sure. I suppose it does rely on the conceptual level, but it feels as if my very senses are going haywire. The best way I can describe it is with an analogy. Have you ever had it happen when you are laying in bed, trying to go to sleep, and then you think about what it will actually feel like to go fall asleep (that threshold between the two), and as soon as you do that you are unable to actually go to sleep because you keep thinking about that threshold? Either you get that or my analogy will make no sense.

I have no idea where this "murkiness" came from. I just started feeling this way one day. I was really hoping someone had gone through this before and could give me some advice.

I did some more thinking about my problem. I accept that ultimately every psychological problem boils down to a concept. (A sensory difficulty is, I imagine, more of a medical problem). Any doubt or haziness that I'm feeling is a direct consequence of my view of reality. If reality exists, and my existence exists, and A=A, then all my dreams are possible. On the other hand, if A=?, then this is the feeling that I get.

I suppose it seems stuipid to post a question then to answer. :lol: