Objectivism Online Forum

Teachable Moments

Rate this topic

Our son does most of his reading on his own. All the same, we like to read to him sometimes, and he enjoys it too. Also, reading to him gives us a little more understanding of what inputs he is receiving. A big reason to read to him is that it invariably offers opportunities to add commentary.

Disclaimer: Reading is fun. So, nothing about the following should be interpreted to mean we turn this into some type of boring lesson. [end of mind-body dichotomy disclaimer]

Sometimes a book might contain wrong messages. If I come across them, I might make a quick point about the wrong message. Usually, the message is not fundamental to the book he's reading -- else he'd not be reading it. So, in order not to detract from the story, I might make just a passing remark to indicate that the author's premise should be re-examined. (Not in so many words... he's about 7!).

Far more interesting are the opportunities for additional positive commentary about "the good stuff". For instance, at one point in a Lemony Snicket book the heroes lie and steal the villain's boat.

"Were they right to lie?", I asked my son.

His immediate reaction was to say "no", and I perceived a slight look of guilt start to cloud his face. I explained to him why it was not just okay to lie, but it was the exactly right thing to do, and that the heroes were so smart to realize that. etc. etc.

He understood, and was happier than ever about what they'd done. Go Baudelaire orphans!

Anyhow, the point I wanted to make is a simple one: reading a book to a child, presents one with more so-called "teachable moments" than one would get from "real" life.

Properly interpreted, a "teachable moment" is just a way to say that abstract ideas can be absorbed better it they are backed by examples, and the examples are best if they are "lived". Real experiences are the best. Literature can be a pretty good additional source. The broad implicit message of this type of teaching is: the abstract idea is tied to reality. If one is teaching philosophy, the broad implicit message is: philosophy is useful (i.e. practical).

Any parents here have their own "teachable moment" experiences to share?