Objectivism Online Forum

Batman Begins

Rate this topic

Since we started talking about Frank Miller, check out this quote from http://www.objectivistcenter.org/ct-1697-CelebRandFans.aspx:

Another major comic book writer who explicitly acknowledges an intellectual debt to Ayn Rand is Frank Miller. Miller, as author of the hugely popular “Dark Knight” graphic novels of the 1980s, breathed new life into the Batman franchise, which has expanded to popular films, such as the outstanding recent movie, Batman Begins. Rand scholar Chris Sciabarra reports that Miller “credits Rand’s Romantic Manifesto as having helped him to define the nature of the literary hero and the legitimacy of heroic fiction.” Sciabarra quotes Miller as declaring, in his introduction to one story, that

"…I was drawn again and again to the ideas presented by Ayn Rand in her 1957 novel Atlas Shrugged. Eschewing the easy and much-used totalitarian menace made popular by George Orwell, Rand focused instead on issues of competence and incompetence, courage and cowardice, and took the fate of humanity out of the hands of a convenient “Big Brother” and placed it in the hands of individuals with individual strengths and individual choices made for good or evil. I gratefully and humbly acknowledge the creative debt."

I knew there was a reason I liked him so much :worry:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic