Objectivism Online Forum

How Do I Spell-check?

Rate this topic

jrs

The spell-check was an "Add On" (or "Mod") to the underlying forum software. It appears that David upgraded the forum software last night. The Spell-check "Add-On" may not work with the new version unless it is changed slightly; or, maybe has simply not been tested on the new version of Invision yet.

I thought that this new version of forum software will have Spell-check built in to it. However, it appears I was mistaken. From reading the list of new features, it appears that this is not so.

For those who are using the Rich Text editor on the forum, look at the top line, which allows font selection etc. There, you will see an "ABC" spell-check icon. Clicking it, in Internet Explorer, asked me to download an IE-tool called "IEspell". I did so, restarted IE, and now I have spell-check working!

• 5 weeks later...

For starters: This version of forum software has two types of editors for posts. Each user can choose one or the other. To make the choice, you can click on the "My Controls" option in the menu on top, and then on the "Board Settings" option on the menu to the left. The last board setting says "Type of text editor to use when posting". There are two options: "Standard Editor" (like the one in the previous version of the forum software) and "Rich Text Editor" (this is the new one). [if you use an esoteric browser, you may not be able to use the Rich Text editor.]

For Internet Explorer users: If you choose to use the Rich Text Editor you'll see an icon of a check-mark and "ABC". Clicking on it will spell check. The spell check happens on your PC and the dictionary is on your PC. The first time one clicks on it, a window will pop up asking you to download IESpell. It's basically an ActiveX control that will be downloaded. Indeed, this (IESpell) integrates with IE. So, you will also see a new Spell-Check icon alongside your other IE icons (like File, History, Print, etc.).

For Firefox users: Switch to IE. (Just kidding <ahttp://forum.objectivismonline.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'>, Gates paid me to say that! Seems that Firefox has at least one plugins that works just like IESpell. It is called SpellBound . I should try it sometime and see how convenient it is. I do not know if it will place its icon on the top tool bar of the browser, or whether there is a way it will place itself on the Rich Text Editor's own toolbar. My guess is that Firefox has other similar plug-ins out there too.

If anyone faces a problem with either of these, or knows of better plug-ins please post about it.

It is called SpellBound . I should try it sometime and see how convenient it is. I do not know if it will place its icon on the top tool bar of the browser, or whether there is a way it will place itself on the Rich Text Editor's own toolbar.
I faund it at randumb by rite clicking in the text inpout box. It doesn't seen to actually do anything.

Okay David, now you got me curious. I ended up downloading Firefox and I have it working.

1) Did you download spellbound or was that extension already on your machine? If it was already there, could you check (menu: Tools/Extensions) to see if you have the latest versions. In my case, after I installed, the list shows two extensions: "Spellbound 0.7.3" and "Mozilla Spellcheck Libraries 0.9.1.0"

2) If that matches, next question: Did you install the English dictionary ... that's a separate extension. What you do is, use the Firefox menu option (Tools/Extensions). Click on the "Get More Extensions". When a page comes up, ignore it. Instead of the URL on that page (which will be something like addons.mozilla.org), enter the following URL: http://downloads.mozdev.org/dictionaries/spell-en-US.xpi

Click enter and it will install. The dictionary shows up briefly in the list of extensions and then goes away. Not sure why... but, it is there.

3) If you did all this, then you should see a Spellbound pop-up when you right-click in the text-box while editing, and select the "Check Spelling" option. If you do see this, but it is not doing any checking, then look at the bottom left corner of the SpellBound pop-up window. Under language it probably says "Download More". Click that select drop-down. If the dictionary was installed correctly, you should see an option for "English/United State". Select that (it will "remember" that selection for the future). Now, it ought to work.

Now the funny part: The Mozilla dictionary does not recognize the word "Firefox". It is recommending I change it to Firefox.

Stoopid program. Option 3.
Yeah! It was probably "obvious" to the guy who worte it :wacko: After a few times of having it pop-up blank, I finally scrutinized each option and found I had to say... "hey, I have just one dictionary, guess what... that's the one I want to use."

• 6 months later...

The official release of Spellbound is not compatible with newer versions of Firefox. However, there's a development version for anyone who wants to try it out. Appears to work fine. (Hattip: Errorik)

Here are the links to the resources you need to install:
  1. Install the Development SpellBound XPI
  2. Install your languages dictionary file (here is the US English file)
  3. Now restart Firefox and enjoy.

• 7 months later...

I use Firefox, and I did have spell check--until a couple of weeks ago. It just suddenly stopped working, and I don't know why. The abc icon is still on my tool bar, and I can still right click in the window and click "check spelling," and the spell check program will still come up, but it always says that no misspelled words are found on the page, even if I type pure gibberish. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I use Firefox, and I did have spell check--until a couple of weeks ago. It just suddenly stopped working, and I don't know why.
I downloaded a spell-checker for Firefox (jerk program #2 doesn't know the word Firefox), and it worked until I upgraded Firefox, and there was an incompatibility. But I just downloaded a new extension from here, and all is cool. But: remember to actually select English as your language, in the box that pops up when you right-click. Now I just have to learn to ignore the annoying underlining when I use a word like "chiehgahpir" that the dictionary doesn't know.

That's not in my OED. Or Google. It doesn't look English. Why would you use that word? How would you use that word? How do you say that word?
Well, I'd use it if I wanted to describe this hat, as a noun, for example "If that claim is true, I'll eat my chiehgahpir" (I did a funny-letter change to ch, which I hope didn't confuse anyone). I'll try to post a link to a pronunciation later. Admittedly, it's not too common that I be bothered by this problem, unless I wanted to make a point about, well, Saami hats or ridiculous propositions.

But: remember to actually select English as your language, in the box that pops up when you right-click.

Oh, that was it--it got set off of English. Thanks! Hm, it still doesn't underline misspelled words in red anymore for some reason. But at least it finds them if I do the right click thing.

Edited by Bold Standard

I did a funny-letter change to ch, which I hope didn't confuse anyone.
Aha. That's why it didn't show up in the Google. But I don't think you can rightly call it an English word, then. So your complaint about annoying underlining would apply equally to most any non-English word if you had set your language to English.

I'd still like to know how to pronounce it, though. I'm not well versed in Uralic pronunciation.

Hello Everyone

Very interesting replies. I myself use Safari version 2.0.4, and I don't have access to the spell checker, or any of those features that one mentioned (I do have Firefox, but I like Safari better).

What I do, and works for me greatly, is to type up my response in a third party app. I use "Textedit" for this purpose, however, I'm sure Word, or any other program will work just as well.

Why do I use a third party app? For the following reasons:

1. My spelling is horrid. To be understood, I have to use a third party application so I could be understood

2. avoiding "time outs". I know a lot of sites time out if you don't respond after a set period of time. By having a third party application open, I can type as long as I need to, and take a break if I so choose.

3. I can save the file, and refer to it at a later time (I like the way my hard-drive is organized, and I don't want to go searching for posts).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.