Objectivism Online Forum

I Figure I Should Introduce Myself

Rate this topic

Well, now that I've been around here anonymously for a bit, I figure I should probably introduce myself "officially."

My name is Danny Shahar. I'm 19, and a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. I'm from Westport, CT. I didn't like it very much out there. As Holden Caulfield would have said, they were a bunch of phonies, and so I got the hell out of there as quickly as possible. I'm majoring in economics, and hopefully getting a certificate (a minor) in business.

I'm originally from Israel, so my name is pronounced "Donny." That's why my name on here, and everywhere else pretty much, is Donny with an A. Get it? 'Cause it's Donny spelled Danny.

I'm interested in pretty much everything, which is why you will and have seen me trying to get involved in just about every discussion on this board (even, and especially, those which I know nothing about...sorry to those whose fields of study I've lambasted because of flawed knowledge, I'm trying to stop doing that).

I play guitar, read, debate, relax, shower occasionally, play more guitar, attend class occasionally, abuse alcohol on occasion, watch Islanders hockey, yell at my friend Andy for being Christian, and play Sega Genesis. I'm a member of a fraternity (what? gross! I hate them too) that realized, "Hey, you mean if we're a 'fraternity' the school won't break up our ridiculous parties?" Essentially I pay to get to hang out in a place that's basically immune to the law. You can make fun of me, believe me I understand.

I have a girlfriend named Sara. She's nice.

My favorite books would be Breakfast of Champions and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, Fight Club by Chuck Pahluniak (I think that's how you spell it), The Fountainhead, The Virtue of Selfishness, and Atlas Shrugged by we all know who :thumbsup: . If you haven't read any of those books, do it. 'It' being reading the books.

Movies: Dogma, Fight Club, The Fifth Element, The Matrix (the first one), Kill Bill 1&2, Snatch, Dude, Where's My Car, Memento, Old School, The Usual Suspects, Pulp Fiction, and Donnie Darko. Yea, that's right, I said Dude, Where's My Car. That movie is hilarious.

Music: Sublime, Phish, Joe Satriani, Ben Folds, Pink Floyd, Dispatch, and Bob Marley and the Wailers. I don't smoke pot anymore, but it sure seems like it, huh?

Well I guess that's it, and much more than I would have intended.

...pronounced "Donny." That's why my name on here, and everywhere else pretty much, is Donny with an A. Get it?
And all along I thought you were a couple, Donny and Ana, who liked reading the forum together :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Donny-with-an-A!

Madtown, huh? Have fun on Halloween.

I like Sublime, too. Was it put first on the list for a reason?

Also, have you watched and did you like any other Kevin Smith films? Mallrats is one of my favorites, so if you say "No" I will use the power of the Continuum Transfunctioner to banish you to Hoboken, New Jersey.

:alien:

You could not have more different esthetic tastes than yours truly if you tried. I thought most of those books were mediocre or awful (except the ones by Ayn Rand, of course) . . . I hate most of the bands. I did enjoy some of the movies, but in the same way that you enjoy things that you know are really really bad for you. I.e. only up-front, later on I wondered why I had bothered.

Music: Sublime, Phish, Joe Satriani, Ben Folds, Pink Floyd, Dispatch, and Bob Marley and the Wailers. I don't smoke pot anymore, but it sure seems like it, huh?

Welcome to the forum, I have noticed you kicking around various threads all over the forums.

You like Pink Floyd? Ick, not only are alot of their songs depressing in every way, alot of the lyrics are just stupid. I mean, have you listened to the lyrics in that Money song?

I dont really like the other musicians/bands you mention either. I am not a big fan of music that contains lyrics that dont agree with me, or a sound that is really not all that interesting, which is the case for every single musician you mention above.

Hehe thanks for the warm reception, folks. I get the "Donny with Ana" thing a lot, figured I should put a stop to it :P

As for Sublime, I love the way they bring all sorts of styles of music together, and their CDs (except the posthumous Bradley Nowell ones) are laid out incredibly, so it's not just a song here and there, but an entire album. Bands don't do that enough anymore.

:lol: I have to stand up for my Floyd; they have some iffy lyrics, but they also have some incredible ones:

From "Where Were You" - "While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words, dying to believe in what you heard, I was staring straight into the shining sun"

From "Wish You Were Here" - "Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts, hot ashes for trees, hot air for a cool breeze, cold comfort for change? Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in the cage?"

From "Sheep" - "What do you get for pretending the danger's not real? Meek and obedient, you follow the leader down well trodden corridors into the valley of steel. What a surprise! A look of terminal shock in your eyes, now things are really what they seem. No, this is not a bad dream." (the lyrics to that song are incredible in their entirety; check them out.)

I love the Kevin Smith stuff I've seen. Mallrats, Clerks, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are all hilarious, though often for different reasons. I haven't seen Chasing Amy, but I've heard that it's not that great.

JMeganSnow, I'm sorry to hear you've felt that way. What can I say but that I'm a Big Ten frat boy with an interest in thinking about stuff once in a while! :)