Objectivism Online Forum

What is the identity of the green dot?

Rate this topic

Felix

Isn't the labelling wrong. Shoudln't it say "The A and B are the same shade of gray"?

No. That's the cool part. The squares themselves are the same shade of gray. Test by covering up the surrounding squares as well as the letters "A" and "B" themselves. You will then see that the squares are the same colour.

I pasted the two gray square in a paint program and them moved them side-by-side. They really are the same shade of gray -- except there are a couple of irregular shadings in the top square; I'm not really sure if that's fair in the optical illusion game. But... an extracted uniform portion of each square, placed side-by-side shows them to be the same shade.

Cool.

Those are wild.

I've seen the flashing dots one before, but not the checker square board illusion.

Here is an explanation of the "Lilac Chaser"

It also has some adjustment buttons on it, such as color change.

Here is an explanation of the Checker Shadow Illusion. This site provides a mask, so that you can better see the fact that they are the same color. Pretty amazing.

And, just to add one, here's an illusion. It's pretty clear how it works, but it's amazing to look at anyway Rotating Face Mask

Note, you need to wait until the Quick Time movies are loaded.

It doesn't explain why at some point all the dots disappear and only the green afterimage remains.

Any idea why that is the case?

That's the brain's self-correcting mechanism at work. If something doesn't move or change (even if it's blinking) somewhere in the optical field outside the fovea (the 3-degree area of highest retinal cell concentration used for acute vision, like reading, in the center of the field of view) the brain will eventually filter it out as some intraocular defect which it attempts to correct for. It's the same cause behind prism adaptation (where the brain eventually will flip visual signals when a normal-sighted person wears glasses which invert incoming images using a prism)

-Q

And now my question: What is the identity of the green dot?

I actually discovered this one out while I was high one day. This is going to sound a bit Bullsh-t, but try to bare with me as I do believe I've quite literally witnessed this with my own eyes. The color spectrum has two ends. One end is black, and on the other end is white. There are some inferred colors that go beyond white and in the purple region if I remember correctly but don't /quote me on that. Any who, when the pink dot disappears from your vision, it actually visually dissolves into the background. This may seem quick, but it is a gradual process. The pink dot turns that greenish color for a moment because it's actually making a transition from pink to grey (Background).

Edited by Jon P

• 3 weeks later...