Objectivism Online Forum

South Park 04.05.06

Rate this topic

In the first of a two South Park episodes, the country is driven to panic regarding an airing of Family Guy. In one of the famous FG asides, Peter gets a glass of tea ... with the Prophet Muhammed in tow. The scene is completely banal, but The FOX Network censored Muhammed's image.

Of course, the nation was already in panic because of the backlash from the Danish cartoons. After everything settled down, the news reports that a second Family Guy episode will air, this time with Muhammed uncensored. An intellectual arrives in South Park with a message: "If you don't want to appear be part of this sacreligious show, you have but one choice: bury your head in sand."

I won't spoil anymore, since South Park just aired, but as those of you who are fans will see, it's almost as if a certain cartoon staff has been reading some recent ARI press releases ...

If you get a chance, catch it, and set the TiVo for next Wednesday.

Edited by synthlord

It was a great episode, although I think they're a little jealous of Family Guy...in all honesty, it's a funnier show.

Anyway, I think it's a little too much self-flagellation to assume that they've read ARI's press releases. The debate over the Mohammad cartoons has been incredibly widespread. While I enjoy ARI's press releases, they are anything but unique. I've read pretty much identical opinions in tons of places.

Moose is right. I think that the Simpsons and especially South Park are envious of Family Guy. The Family Guy is riding a wave of popularity as well as being in the groove creatively. Seth McFarlane mentioned that his shows can take a month or more to make whereas South Park can whip out episodes in 3 days.

But then Family Guy actually scores and does a live performance of every piece of music in the show. Plus, he was trained vocally by the same voice teachers that trained Ol' Blue Eyes. In fact, they were so impressed by his voice they came out of retirement. So McFarlane approaches his show from that sort of musical and creative backround where the South Park guys approach the show from a nihlistic liberterian approach.

So South Park can be more topical in theory (scientology cult, etc) Family Guy does have creativity on its side. Family Guy is already on my Tivo and South Park isn't. I'll have to hunt down South Park....

I definitely see what they say about using interchangeable jokes though. Most of FG's jokes have absolutely nothing to do with the plot and could really go just about anywhere. But the sheer randomness of the jokes are what makes the show so funny. You'll see a joke and think to yourself "where in the hell did that come from?" all the while, laughing your ass off.

All in all, I think South Park is a better show, because it generally has a good combination of serious social commentary along with satirical humor that shows how ridiculous conservative/liberal ideals really are. Family Guy is pure comedy, and is funnier because of it, but it doesn't make you think as much.

I also think South Park has gone way downhill. Season 7 was the last truly funny season. Since then, there have only been a handful of really quality episodes. I would count tonight's among them, but I'd like to see the resolution before passing judgement on it.

Edited by Moose

South Park's 4/5/06 episode certainly had larger aspirations than most of their episodes, and worked on several levels. Their critique of the head in the sand approach to not defending free speech was good. Their parody of Family Guy's style was consistent with the 1 and 1/2 episodes I've seen of it (random flashbacks to create a gag). Ultimately, I think the episode wasn't about Family Guy, it was about South Park and the pressures that they may be getting from Comedy Central. They personally would probably would like to show Muhammed performing in a Mexican donkey show.

Usually, South Park's ultimate resolution of these big issues are a bit disappointing, because they typically step back from the brink of drawing a truly radical conclusion that would be deeply unpopular. So I'm keeping my expectations low for part 2 next week.

South Park has shown Mohammad on several occasions. Most notably, helping to bring to life the giant stone John Wilkes Boothe.

And when has it ever shied away from making an unpopular point? I would imagine their defenses of Wal Mart and Starbucks were both pretty unpopular, but they did them anyway.

And, yeah, it was definitely about South Park. There was that one part where Cartman lists all these groups (Catholics, handicapped) that try to get the show pulled. Well, I know that Catholics complained to Comedy Central after last years season finale.

[Removed duplicate text -GC]

Well, I know that Catholics complained to Comedy Central after last years season finale.
And from what I understand, they won. The "Bloody Mary" episode was reported to have been permanently pulled from airing, and the Scientology episode (the one that drove Isaac Hayes away) was rumored to have been pulled as well. (I could be wrong about these ... it's hard to tell when the publicity machines are running at full tilt.)

Given Parker's & Stone's direct challenge to any authority, it won't surprise me if the Muhammed follow-up episode is deliberately far less clever than it is shocking. Since they usually wrap up new shows a couple of days before air, we'll probably find out Monday what Comedy Central's intentions are ...

I couldn't say which is funnier - SP or FG. I think they're both really funny (when they're at their best), but for different reasons. I love the extreme allegory in South Park, and I love the obscure references of Family Guy. (I think seems to be a subtle joke that Peter Griffin's TV-addicted ADD is not only a source of content humor, but a format for the show's almost random asides.)

I'm looking forward to this season of SP. What with all the kerfuffle stirred up by last season ("Bloody Mary," "Trapped in the Closet"), Both this episode and the first episode of the season (even though it was a bit banal) suggest a forthcoming torrent of righteous anger from Matt & Trey. It could make for a few more newsmakers, and some interesting fallout.

I missed last week's episode. <pout>

-Q

And from what I understand, they won. The "Bloody Mary" episode was reported to have been permanently pulled from airing, and the Scientology episode (the one that drove Isaac Hayes away) was rumored to have been pulled as well. (I could be wrong about these ... it's hard to tell when the publicity machines are running at full tilt.)

Given Parker's & Stone's direct challenge to any authority, it won't surprise me if the Muhammed follow-up episode is deliberately far less clever than it is shocking. Since they usually wrap up new shows a couple of days before air, we'll probably find out Monday what Comedy Central's intentions are ...

I couldn't say which is funnier - SP or FG. I think they're both really funny (when they're at their best), but for different reasons. I love the extreme allegory in South Park, and I love the obscure references of Family Guy. (I think seems to be a subtle joke that Peter Griffin's TV-addicted ADD is not only a source of content humor, but a format for the show's almost random asides.)

The scientology episode was pulled because Tom Cruise threatened not to promote MI:3 if they didn't, and Comedy Central is owned by the same company as the company that produced that movie. From what I understand, they did not give in to Catholic demands to pull the Bloody Mary episode (which I still haven't seen). And I know that both are planned to still be released on DVD. If they aren't, you can always just download them and watch them that way.

I respect their right as an individual business to choose what to show on their network but I was very dissapointed. I e-mailed them about it too. Censoring yourself because you are afraid of offending Muslims and the violence they threaten is cowardice. Free speech needs defenders, not cowards. What good is the right if you are too afraid to use it?

I won't be watching Comedy Central for a good long time. I know that for sure. With the only possible exception being South Park (and I watched quite a few shows until now).

I don't know ... it's hard to know if the blackout was a Comedy Central thing, or another South Park gag. They were ripping on themselves for being preachy and high-minded the whole episode ...

I thought "... will not be seen ..." was priceless.

I thought "... will not be seen ..." was priceless.

I about had a heart attack. Flashbacks of Season 2 premiere.

Would be interesting to know if it was a SP thing or a CC thing...

-Q

I respect their right as an individual business to choose what to show on their network but I was very dissapointed. I e-mailed them about it too. Censoring yourself because you are afraid of offending Muslims and the violence they threaten is cowardice. Free speech needs defenders, not cowards. What good is the right if you are too afraid to use it?

I won't be watching Comedy Central for a good long time. I know that for sure. With the only possible exception being South Park (and I watched quite a few shows until now).

If there's one thing to take away from that episode it's that we have the right to offend people. Do you really think that, given South Park's history, they (or Comedy Central for that matter) were afraid of offending Muslims? It was a joke. I thought an effective one too. There was all this build-up about how it was going to air uncensored. Then, in the end, it was censored by Comedy Central instead of Family Guy. I thought it was a pretty good joke.

Edited by Moose

http://media.nationalreview.com/094921.asp

Media Blog

Stephen Spruiell Reporting

The Markup

Comedy Central Censored Mohammed

I'm not sure if it's been reported yet, but for what it's worth, I just got off the phone with a Comedy Central spokesman. I asked him about last night's episode of South Park in which, at a moment right before the prophet Mohammed was supposed to make a cameo, the words, "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network" appeared on the screen.

I asked him whether this truly was Comedy Central's decision or whether this was just another gag (with South Park, you never know). He said:

They reflected it accurately. That was a Comedy Central decision.

Just in case there was any confusion, that settles it. Comedy Central censored the image.

The Volokh Conspiracy and Captain's Quarters have more. And needless to say, I thought the episode was brilliant.

UPDATE: Michelle Malkin has lots of commentary, plus the video.

[ 04/13/2006 12:15 PM ]

Here's an AP story about it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6041301002.html

`South Park' Creators Skewer Own Network

By DAVID BAUDER

The Associated Press

Thursday, April 13, 2006; 2:29 PM

NEW YORK -- Banned by Comedy Central from showing an image of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, the creators of "South Park" skewered their own network for hypocrisy in the cartoon's most recent episode.

The comedy _ in an episode aired during Holy Week for Christians _ instead featured an image of Jesus Christ defecating on President Bush and the American flag.

In an elaborately constructed two-part episode of their Peabody Award-winning cartoon, "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker intended to comment on the controversy created by a Danish newspaper's publishing of caricatures of Muhammad. Muslims consider any physical representation of their prophet to be blasphemous.

When the cartoons were reprinted in newspapers worldwide in January and February, it sparked a wave of protests primarily in Islamic countries.

Parker and Stone were angered when told by Comedy Central several weeks ago that they could not run an image of Muhammad, according to a person close to the show who didn't want to be identified because of the issue's sensitivity.

The network's decision was made over concerns for public safety, the person said.

Comedy Central said in a statement issued Thursday: "In light of recent world events, we feel we made the right decision." Its executives would not comment further.

As is often the case with Parker and Stone, they built "South Park" around the incident. In Wednesday's episode, the character Kyle is shown trying to persuade a Fox network executive to air an uncensored "Family Guy" even though it had an image of Muhammad.

"Either it's all OK, or none of it is," Kyle said. "Do the right thing."

The executive decides to strike a blow for free speech and agrees to show it. But at the point where Muhammad is to be seen, the screen is filled with the message: "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Muhammad on their network."

It is followed shortly by the images of Christ, Bush and the flag.

A frequent "South Park" critic, William Donohue of the anti-defamation group Catholic League, called on Parker and Stone to resign out of principle for being censored.

"The ultimate hypocrite is not Comedy Central _ that's their decision not to show the image of Muhammad or not _ it's Parker and Stone," he said. "Like little whores, they'll sit there and grab the bucks. They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus. That's their stock in trade."

Parker and Stone did not immediately respond to a request through a spokesman for comment.

It's the second run-in over religion in a few months for the satirists. Comedy Central refused to rerun a "South Park" episode that mocked Scientologists. Isaac Hayes, a Scientologist who voiced the Chef character on the show, resigned in protest over the episode.

"South Park" again got the last word last month with an episode where Chef was seemingly killed and mourned as a jolly guy whose brains were scrambled by the "Super Adventure Club," which turns its members into pedophiles.

Only last week, "South Park" won broadcasting's prestigious Peabody. Awards director Horace Newcomb said at the time that by its offensiveness, the show "reminds us of the need for being tolerant."

I'm still not convinced that Comedy Central really censored it. I think they're probably just playing along with the gag. The episodes themselves would have been far more offensive to Muslims than a picture of Mohammad handing Peter a "salmon helmet."

I'm not assuming that their "protestations are rational." I'm saying that I think the whole thing (including Comedy Central's complicity) was a joke.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread that, you meant the Muslims. I'm not assuming that they're rational. I'm assuming that some things would piss them off more than others, and I still believe the episode as a whole would be more offensive than a simple picture of Mohammad.

Edited by Moose

Not really. It's just an Islamic tradition that no images of Mohammad be made, because they think it can lead to idolatry, but it is not written anywhere in the Koran or hadith that it is forbidden. It's just what they do.

What upset them about the Danish cartoons was not that they were cartoons of Mohammad. It was because they were drawn in a disrespectful manner (i.e. bomb as a turban). South Park has shown Mohammad before and it never had any violent reaction. And I daresay South Park has a wider audience than some obscure Danish newspaper.

I would note that the screen where they censored out Mohammad at the end of the episode was done quite differently from the way he had been censored out at earlier parts in the two parter, suggesting that the writers wanted to draw a bit more attention to that scene then expected. While I don't deny that it works very effectively as a tool of ironic humor to build up to showing Mohammed, only to have Comedy Central censor him, it would be a shame if that had to be done because the network would not allow it, rather then letting it be entirely a choice on the writers part.

I would note that the screen where they censored out Mohammad at the end of the episode was done quite differently from the way he had been censored out at earlier parts in the two parter, suggesting that the writers wanted to draw a bit more attention to that scene then expected. While I don't deny that it works very effectively as a tool of ironic humor to build up to showing Mohammed, only to have Comedy Central censor him, it would be a shame if that had to be done because the network would not allow it, rather then letting it be entirely a choice on the writers part.

fyi...I saw the unedited version (with that exact nondescript Mohammed) on www.youtube.com...so im pretty sure it was not a joke, and that Comedy Central did indeed 'puss out.' I wonder if Cartoon Network would have?