Objectivism Online Forum

Hank Rearden Sketch

Rate this topic

Elysium

So I had originally attempted to capture John Galt's youthful, devoid of pain, fear, and guilt, confident look, and it turns out that backfired. I looked at my drawing, and it looked more like what I imagined Hank Rearden would look like, best described by Galt when Galt met Dagny on the train track (?) toward close to the end of the book:

"I had never seen Hank Rearden, only pictures of him in the newspapers.

I knew that he was in New York, that night...

And then I saw him... I caught a glimpse of him as he stood with his hand on the door

of his car, his head lifted, I saw the brief flare of a smile ...

a confident smile, impatient and a little amused. And then,

for one instant, I did what I had never done before, what most men wreck

their lives on doing—I saw that moment out of context, I saw the world as he

made it look, as if it matched him, as if he were its symbol—I saw a world of

achievement, of unenslaved energy, of unobstructed drive through purposeful

years to the enjoyment of one's reward.

Anyway, please critique. My girlfriend (who happens to be an art/animation student) has pointed out that the hairline is a little off, and that his neck is done incorrectly, but for the most part, the face is correctly proportioned. (Oh, I should mention that I don't own a scanner; I used a digital camera to capture it onto the computer)

Please have a look:

Henry Rearden.

Edited by Elysium

With regard to the "eyes being halfway down from the top of the head," I know that, but as I was using my face in the mirror as a reference, I noticed that if I turned my head up, the proportions changed, and that the eyes should look roughly at the top 1/3 of his head. I think that my error in terms of proportions was not being able to correctly draw from the "head raised" angle.

That being said, I find that it's extremely difficult to capture that confident, impatient, amused smile look. Put another way, I find it's extremely difficult to do justice to Rand's characters in terms of correctly expressing their facial features. Truth be told, I hadn't touched a piece of paper creatively for at least months, so I was pleasantly surprised that it looked decent. :P

I find that it's extremely difficult to capture that confident, impatient, amused smile look.

Use my face as a model. I've been annoying people and baffling people with that look since the days of elementary. :P

Or me,

they are obviously past "the burst of a smile", but they are amused, and not yet that "without pain, fear, or guilt", but they are very close to my natural expression ... "a secret garden" "over-optimism" "bitterness"; psychologically it is perhaps Hank Rearden that I am most like, in that, we share the same weakness, not knowing how good he really is:

post-595-1144906630_thumb.jpg

post-595-1144906692_thumb.jpg

Sincerely,

Jose Gainza

P.S. I must say that the quality is not that great. Also, obviously myself and Rearden are not of the same race.

Edited by AMERICONORMAN