Objectivism Online Forum

My Work: Ukrainian Rumble

Rate this topic

Olex

First of, I'm a new member here, so if I've missed something while browsing around, make sure to point that out to me. (What a great idea for section to show work members are proud of! :thumbsup: )

I'm a coder. That is programmer. In my free time for the past 3 years, I've working on an idea of mine. Here is the latest iteration of my work. Hopefully, it will encourage to pursue your own ideas.

Ukrainian Rumble is a basically a game where you control a vehicle (tank) and blast everything around you to pieces. The trick here is that you and environment is destructible. I plan to make it not only destructible but also "deep" behind the scenes. For example, missiles you will see in the video below are homing missiles that actually simulate normal missile with thrust and torque. They aren't just pulled toward the target. I'm crazy for physics in games, so I take it seriously without letting myself do some hacks to make objects behave the way I want them.

Here is a video to give you an idea of the action:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ukrainian+rumble

Did you see those vehicles with 4 thrusters each? They actually are thrusters that push vehicle against gravity, however they do that according to certain rules to keep the vehicle afloat and stable, and each one works independently of each other, each one just cares to do its job well. The product is that losing one thruster is not critical. Yes, it's a lot of fun for me. :dough:

Hope you are doing some fun as well. Feel free to ask questions, etc.

Edited by Olex