Objectivism Online Forum

Conversion Disorder

Rate this topic

buiq

Hello:

I do not know if this topic has been discussed before. If it has, please pardon me. I am interested in your thoughts and opinion regarding a particular psychological condition: Conversion Disorder.

My appology for the lengthy quote (This is from Emedicine.com. I do not think I have violated copyright of Emedicine-If I do, I request the moderator remove my quote.)

Conversion disorder is included as a somatoform disorder under the general classification of hysterias in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders of the American Psychiatric Association, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV). Although defined as a condition that presents as an alteration or loss of a physical function suggestive of a physical disorder, conversion disorder is more precisely understood as the expression of an underlying psychological conflict or need.

The presence of the psychological factor usually is not apparent at onset but becomes evident in the history when a cause-effect relationship between an environmental event or stressor and the onset of the symptom is discovered. The symptoms are not intentionally produced but are the result of unintentional motives. This condition is not considered under voluntary control and, after appropriate medical evaluation, cannot be explained by any physical disorder or known pathological mechanism.

One or more symptoms or deficits are present that affect voluntary motor or sensory function that suggest a neurologic or other general medical condition.

Psychologic factors are judged to be associated with the symptom or deficit because conflicts or other stressors precede the initiation or exacerbation of the symptom or deficit.

The symptom or deficit is not intentionally produced or feigned (as in factitious disorder or malingering).

The symptom or deficit, after appropriate investigation, cannot be explained fully by a general medical condition, the direct effects of a substance, or as a culturally sanctioned behavior or experience.

The symptom or deficit causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning or warrants medical evaluation.

The symptom or deficit is not limited to pain or sexual dysfunction, does not occur exclusively during the course of somatization disorder, and is not better accounted for by another mental disorder.

According to psychodynamic theory, conversion symptoms seem to be maintained by operant conditioning. The person derives "primary gain" by keeping an internal conflict or need out of awareness. The symptom has a symbolic value that is a representation and partial solution of a deep-seated psychological conflict.

According to learning theory, conversion disorder symptoms are a learned "maladaptive response to stress." Patients achieve "secondary gain" by avoiding activities that are particularly offensive to them, thereby gaining support from family and friends, which otherwise may not be offered.

Do you think the rationale to explain Conversion Disorder by psychodynamic theory and learning theory are valid?

Thanks

Q