Objectivism Online Forum

Freedom, Political Parties and Culture

Rate this topic

MoralForester

Would it make sense to work with every major party then? For $10 a year I could join the NDP (pro-union party) and try to promote free markets? I guess some parties would be closed to certain ideas due to what it is they promote.
The only thing that makes sense to me is finding the best real party. That can be a very hard choice to make, if you're faced with the frying-pan / fire dichotomy. I don't know Canadian politics, so I don't know how to compare the NDP, Liberal party and Conservative Party. My first-glance opinion is that the NDP is at best somewhat better than the Greens, and no smoking gun jumps out as distinguishing the conservatives and liberals. I have not been politically active in the US of late, but I'm thinking seriously about paying some attention to the Democrats, who may be free of the horrors of religious-right fascism.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here in Ontario I am faced with the choice of the Liberal party which is talking as such:

(banning incandescent light bulbs... legislation to impose such a ban was introduced in Australia)

(Ontario)...Premier Dalton McGuinty "...said...that Ontario has to start being a responsible global citizen", that he is working on an "aggressive plan" to "deal with greenhouse gases", and that if Ontarians replaced one incandescent bulb with a flourescent one, he would be able to shut down one coal-powered electricity generation statio

and the "conservative" party, the PCs

Progressive Conservative leader John Tory went so far as to say today that "Ontarians want to be part of a solution to climate change", and that a ban on incandescent bulbs should be imposed "...as soon as possible".

and this small Freedom Party stating:

The simple and obvious fact is that both Mr. McGuinty and Mr. Tory are proponents of electricity rationing as a response to the power shortage caused by the Progressive Conservative's de facto nationalization of the formerly privately-owned electricity system, and decades of price controls and subsidies for electricity.

I can not support the BIG traditional parties in this province. Freedom party has my support until such time one of these parties gains some common sense. I do not consider it a waste of a vote because the other parties have no policies which I can support in any manner.