Objectivism Online Forum

Privacy On This Forum

Rate this topic

ramKatori

I recently wrote a post about a politician whom I consider pretty fascist. While doing so, a questrion occured to me: How private are the identities of people on this forum?

For instance, if someone from law enforcement wants to figure out who I am, and if the owner of the forum cooperates, will they be able to get the IP address from which I posted? If so, there is a good chance they can track it back to me, and figure out that "ramKatori" is actually Mr. John Doe.

If such an audit trail is retained, my next question is: for how long?

Just curious, and a little nervous.

I recently wrote  a post about a politician whom I consider pretty fascist. While doing so, a questrion occured to me: How private are the identities of people on this forum?

I remember when I first started posting to Usenet years ago I used my own name, and got some pretty harsh feedback in my personal email once. I was a little paranoid back then about the same sort of backlash. Just feel safe in the knowledge that the world of critiquing fascist politicians is big enough that nobody is going to come after you for a comment. To my knowledge even Leonard Peikoff has only had one incident, but not relating to a criticism of a government official. (His property {part of an Ayn Rand document} was taken by the Library of Congress because he joked about it being stolen from an archive). Compared to the volumes of work Dr. Peikoff has produced I think your one comment is pretty safe.

We know your IP, if that's your question. So does any other website you've been surfing to today.

ramKatori (or should I call you John Doe :) )

If you want your IP to be hidden, use a transparent proxy when browsing. For instance, try this: in Internet explorer click on Tools/Internet Options. Select the Connections tab and choose LAN settings. You will see a place where you can enter the IP of a Proxy Server. There are many proxy servers all over the world. e.g. the IP 61.19.240.72 is a proxy server on a computer in Thailand. If you enter 61.19.240.72 as your proxy server and 80 as the port number and then go to www.google.com, you will see a Thai language page, because Google thinks you are from Thailand.

You can use Google to search for lists of free Proxies. Some problems with this. One is that the indirection makes things slow. Some of these are small machines run by hobbyists. Sometimes the hobbyist simply turns the machine off. Finally, beware of proxies marked "transparent". These are proxies that do not hide your IP address.

If you are willing to pay for privacy, these are some businesses that provide an anonimizer service for a monthly fee. They give you some software which automates the task of periodically cycling you through various proxy servers. They provide their own proxies. You do lose a little privacy because being businesses they are more likely to have logs about you coming through their site than some Thai hobbyist.

If you want to remain private use a yahoomail, hotmail or some such account toregister for web sites. Change emails every now and then. If the only reason to give an email is to get the initial confirmation of your account, you can use mailinator. (see www.mailinator.net)

However. I would agree with Pericles(MBA) that there is no need to be completely paranoid. If you want a little privacy, register under an assumed name (like oaktree) and don't sign your posts with your real name. That part is searchable by anyone around the world. Worrying about the IP is not warranted if you live in USA. If you live in China, its different. Then you should definitely subscribe to an anonymizer service.

Worrying about the IP is not warranted if you live in USA. If you live in China, its different. Then you should definitely subscribe to an anonymizer service.

Sure, and if you live in Iran - get it now!

But you were asking particularly about ObjectivismOnline knowing your IP address. Nothing can make ObjectivismOnline give your IP address to a foreign government. You should only be concerned if your actions are either a crime inside the US, or a violation of ObjectivismOnline's rules (in which case we can use your IP to ban you).

• 4 months later...

Any proxy can always give in and reveal your IP addy, so it may be practically impossible to be truly unidentifiable. In other words, if you plan on blowing something up, don't talk about it on the internet--even with a proxy.

Don't mention this forum or your username to fascist politicians you don't like, and they will never make the connection between your identity here and in other places.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.