Objectivism Online Forum

Hi - a passion for the visual arts

Rate this topic

Hi , I am Theo and I look forward to reading everyone’s posts. In 1982 I found the Fountainhead on a bookstore shelf and was totally awestruck by it. Then discovered Atlas Shrugged, then Capitalism the Unknown Ideal, The Virtue of Selfishness and read everything else. Before I read Ayn Rand's books I would be best summed up as being "Tabula Rasa" in regards to most issues so it was not much of a conflicting change for me, it was simply a self-education. My primary passion is the visual arts and I have always been drawn to the realist style. My own paintings are at: www.vanoostromfineart.com 

Thank you! My earlier work was produced with oil on linen and my latest 3 paintings are digital paintings. One of the advantages of digital painting is the conversion from the digital painting to a digital print (giclée print) is simpler and direct and retains the quality of the image.  Giclée prints use transparent inks which allow light to shine through, bounce off the white canvas underneath which makes the colours vibrant and less muddy - similar to the old masters technique of producing a monochrome under-painting and glazing the colours unmixed over the top, which is how I produced my oils on linen.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:12 PM, RomanticRealism said:

Thank you! My earlier work was produced with oil on linen and my latest 3 paintings are digital paintings. One of the advantages of digital painting is the conversion from the digital painting to a digital print (giclée print) is simpler and direct and retains the quality of the image.  Giclée prints use transparent inks which allow light to shine through, bounce off the white canvas underneath which makes the colours vibrant and less muddy - similar to the old masters technique of producing a monochrome under-painting and glazing the colours unmixed over the top, which is how I produced my oils on linen.

The final product is your purpose and aim, and they are very impressive.  I'm curious, what software do you use? Corel? ArtRage? 2D 3D software?

What do you think of the artists affiliated with QuentCordair?

Edited by StrictlyLogical

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:10 PM, RomanticRealism said:

My primary software is 3ds Max, I also use Sculptris for sculpturing and Photoshop for post-work and stylisation. Quent and Linda have some very talented artists on show and their work in very impressive.

Just curious.

As someone familiar with Objective concepts, from the myriad of choices, why do you call your visual art works "Paintings"?

On 8/15/2019 at 5:20 PM, StrictlyLogical said:

Just curious.

As someone familiar with Objective concepts, from the myriad of choices, why do you call your visual art works "Paintings"?

Could you clarify...what would you call them? What choices are you thinking of here?

1 hour ago, softwareNerd said:

Could you clarify...what would you call them? What choices are you thinking of here?

I’m no art expert, but often media and technique as well as the result are taken into account when labelling artistic works.

In traditional real world media, two dimensional representations like drawings are created with things like charcoal or pencil or colored pencil whereas paintings are traditionally created using oil paint or acrylics etc Other   works are similarly labelled by technique or medium (and sometimes end product) A “drawing” is the product of a sum of an artists colored strokes of a pencil and a “painting” similarly a sum of an artists colored strokes with a brush.

Sculpture can be built up from clay to create a mould and cast in which bronze may be poured which can be distinguished from a “carving” which by definition starts from some block of medium being carved or chipped away whether or not that material is the final work or used for a cast.

In the modern digital mediums similarly there are multiple techniques.  Digital photographic works can be manipulated or augmented digitally using photoshop 3d modelling with software like Blender or 3dsMax can create a 3d model entirely from scratch and can output 2d images, 3d printed objects, or be incorporated into games or movies.  Some  real media simulation software directly take artist input from a stylus to simulate pencil or paint strokes on a digital canvas for the creation of “digital drawings” or “digital paintings”... a sum of colored strokes input by an artist’s stylus.

So many considerations are involved.

Here a 3d modelling program is used to virtually sculpt and compose a scene.  Lighting is chosen and placed, materials and textures applied to virtual surfaces.  Camera position and FOV are carefully chosen. Global effects like haze are applied and a scene is rendered using ray tracing for example.  As a final stage global adjustment of the image is often performed with image manipulation software... such as saturation gamma color cast etc.  Some manual touch up can also be performed.  This is an incredibly technical and laborious process to create what often can be (as the case is here) a real piece of Art.

Myriad possibilities include

Digital Sculpture

Digital Rendering

Digital Art

Digital Illustration

Virtual Sculpture

Virtual Art

Virtual Illustration

3D Rendering

Edited by StrictlyLogical