Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand on Post Secret

Rate this topic

thejohngaltline

If you haven't heard of it, Post Secret is a website that displays secrets written on post cards mailed in anonymously.

I don't tune into it very often, because I find the bulk of the secrets to be rather depressing evidence of flawed philosophies--suicide, eating disorders, and religion are prevailing themes.

But the eighth secret this week has me puzzled. The text behind the secret appears to be a blurb about Atlas Shrugged, which makes me wonder if Ayn Rand is the "you" in question? And if so, does that suggest the sender wants to spread the word about Objectivism?

Any other hypotheses?

i plan on telling people that you died.

It was actually a bit chilling for me to read, because I immediately recalled what happened about 3 and a half years ago to my daughter and I. It sounded like something my ex-wife would write: "She will not know you as her father" or "She will be raised knowing that her father is dead", both statements of which have been said to me, and it was precisely because of such material that she had said it. I am trying hard as a writer, so that when my novoulette is self-published, she will know me...

Edited by intellectualammo

Perhaps someone found their John Galt, who for whatever reason ended up leaving them. Out of inability to deal with the social repercussions of expressing that they were abandoned by the love of their life, "he (or she) died," perhaps, is a more bearable escape.

That was the first possibility that popped into my head. I'm not sure that Rand being the "you" would make much sense. I think intellectualammo's explanation sounds like a reasonable hypothesis as well.

Edited by cilphex

What is the purpose for posting an anonymous message that website?
I think that website is supposed to be something of a confessional. If someone did something bad and wants to confess to get it off his chest, he now has an online venue. Confess to the whole world. Maybe the commenters (assuming they allow those) can even give him absolution... "hey, maybe you can make up for that by doing...XYZ", or "hey, you think that's bad... I did worse..."

I wouldn't be surprised is some of the more humorous ones are made up though.

Disclaimer: I haven't posted there :rolleyes:

Edited by softwareNerd

• 3 weeks later...
I think that website is supposed to be something of a confessional. If someone did something bad and wants to confess to get it off his chest, he now has an online venue. Confess to the whole world. Maybe the commenters (assuming they allow those) can even give him absolution... "hey, maybe you can make up for that by doing...XYZ", or "hey, you think that's bad... I did worse..."

Yeah, I think you're right. I actually was looking at Post Secret again tonight, and found that they have a forum here. I even found a topic started there discussing the postcard that we have been, one that has totally been haunting me ever since I've seen it. I really do wonder if that was sent in by my ex-wife. No other explanation of that postcard I have read discussed anywhere, comes close to how fitting it is in my situation. Someone on PS forum said it was the back cover of an Atlas Shrugged. Well, that is precisely the novel that my ex-wife had thrown across our livingroom, when I was reading it to my daughter, who was only a few months old at the time. The connections are way more chilling to me than my apartment is right now, one in which I still haven't turned the heat on in this winter...

Edited by intellectualammo

that was my secret.

all i would like to say regarding it is that i am no one's ex-wife, and that atlas shrugged was used for the base because i was told by the person in the secret that i am identical to dagny, which i found to be chillingly accurate.

nobody is dead, either.

Edited by amored

that was my secret.

all i would like to say regarding it is that i am no one's ex-wife, and that atlas shrugged was used for the base because i was told by the person in the secret that i am identical to dagny, which i found to be chillingly accurate.

nobody is dead, either.

Hi. Welcome to the forum, amored.

I really appreciate you posting this reply. It's no longer haunting me as much now; it's still chilling though. I'm curious as to how you came upon this thread and forum?