Objectivism Online Forum

Broken promises

Rate this topic

By David from Truth, Justice, and the American Way,cross-posted by MetaBlog

The Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself,
nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

The F.B.I. Oath of Office:

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States

against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Is it too much to ask FBI agents to keep their oath?

TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=sr3aqlC TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=Lm1kZjc TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=dj38dFc

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/archives/003110.html

That's terrible even beyond the usual sort. I didn't know a thing about Forfeiture Law until just now.

Here is a backgrounder on Forfeiture:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/background/forfeiture/

Civil forfeiture rests on the idea (a legal fiction) that the property itself, not the owner, has violated the law. Thus, the proceeding is directed against the res, or the thing involved in some illegal activity specified by statute. Unlike criminal forfeiture, in rem forfeiture does not require a conviction or even an official criminal charge against the owner. This is the source of its attractiveness to law enforcement, and its threat to those concerned about abuse or circumvention of Constitutional protections.
Edited by Seeker