Objectivism Online Forum

Bionic Vision

Rate this topic

Myself

Hmm... From what I can tell the wireless charging available now still requires the device to come in contact with a "charging plate." I think "bionic vision" contact lenses would need to be able to receive power wirelessly without having to physically touch a charger.

The question I was asking was: is it physically possible to "beam" power through the air?

Hmm... From what I can tell the wireless charging available now still requires the device to come in contact with a "charging plate." I think "bionic vision" contact lenses would need to be able to receive power wirelessly without having to physically touch a charger.

It depends on their power consumption. If they were good for, say, 12 hours, you could remove them at night for charging.

The question I was asking was: is it physically possible to "beam" power through the air?

Yes, but until recently it wasn't economical. Over large areas, say you wnated to power a city or a small town wirelessly, it still wouldn't be economical. there are products in development that merely have to be near a power source in order to get charged, say 3 feet. There ahve beena rticles about it in science periodicals over the past year or year and a half. try looking up the Scientific American website and see if it lets you search through past issues.

Hmm... From what I can tell the wireless charging available now still requires the device to come in contact with a "charging plate."
Yeah, you're right. I didn't realize those pads used physical contatcs, I thought the device had to be "close by".

Here's an article about some MIT guys transimitting power across 7 feet. Still experimental.

• 8 months later...

This idea is actually similar to what Nicolai Tesla did back in the later part of the 19th century. Tesla was an electrical engineer/inventor who worked for Thomas Edison for a time until Edison renegged on their earlier salary agreement. If you have ever watched the movie "The Prestige", you see the main character of the movie working with Tesla on top of a mountain range in Colorado.

Tesla advocate the use of a high-powered ultraviolet beam to power objects without the wires. Tesla was also one of the first to notice the effects of X-rays.