Objectivism Online Forum

Vice Presidents

Rate this topic

Sarrisan

A matter of confusion for me recently has been the topic of vice presidents. There seems to be much importance placed on who chooses who for the position, but from what I have read (Admittedly, limited), the vice president is little more then a figurehead who has little or no power.

What does the Vice President actually do? Also, in your opinion, what do you think the importance of the Vice President is?

I apologize if this kind of question is inappropriate here. If it is, would you at least give me some idea of where to look elsewhere for more information?

The major duties that come to mind:

- Become president if the president leaves office (could happen if McCain has poor health)

- Break ties in the Senate (they'll always vote with their party though, so this doesn't really matter)

- Serve as adviser to the president and help with various executive tasks/duties/functions. In any particular administration, the VP could be anything from the second "most powerful" person in the US to a purely ceremonial figurehead.

Not sure if the mods will delete this thread since it's not really related to Objectivism. For more info, I would check Wikipedia.

The major duties that come to mind:

- Become president if the president leaves office (could happen if McCain has poor health)

- Break ties in the Senate (they'll always vote with their party though, so this doesn't really matter)

- Serve as adviser to the president and help with various executive tasks/duties/functions. In any particular administration, the VP could be anything from the second "most powerful" person in the US to a purely ceremonial figurehead.

Not sure if the mods will delete this thread since it's not really related to Objectivism. For more info, I would check Wikipedia.

What does the Vice President actually do? Also, in your opinion, what do you think the importance of the Vice President is?

What Brass Dragon said. Also as you noted the VP is a figurehead with no real power.

But that's during the actual term. In the campaign the VP candidate also serves to enhance or complement the presidential candidate's appeal, and he can have considerable weight in the campaign as well.

The VP also tends to be his party's next presidential candidate, if he doesn't ascend to the presidency directly (like Ford or Lyndon Johnson). Dick Chenney is unusual in that sense.