Objectivism Online Forum

Michael Wilkinson

Rate this topic

intellectualammo

Michael Wilkinson sculptures are now at the Quent Cordair Fine Art Gallery HERE. I discovered him years ago and have enjoyed his artwork ever since. Not sure if he has been mentioned on the forum before, but I thought I'd start a thread on just his works.

HERE is his website.

Edited by intellectualammo

Michael Wilkinson sculptures are now at the Quent Cordair Fine Art Gallery HERE. I discovered him years ago and have enjoyed his artwork ever since. Not sure if he has been mentioned on the forum before, but I thought I'd start a thread on just his works.

HERE is his website.

Image and Pinnacle absolutely blow me away.

I'll bet you the photographs are absolutely wretched compared to the actual items--and no, that takes nothing away from the photographer. This is exactly the sort of thing a photograph could never hope to capture adequately.

You are almost correct, Steve, simply meaning 'wretched' is too harsh but the photographs are a carrot on a stick. I just got back from the gallery 30 minutes ago as I write this. These sculptures are absolutely stunning. I can't begin to describe "Pinnacle" - I just wish I was rich because then, it would be mine. I went there today to pay a little more on the 2 pieces I've been slowly trying to acquire and also to put a down payment on a certain sculpture. I wound up instead making the payments and putting a down payment on "Vow". As I handed Linda my check I said, "For starving artists from starving art patrons". I simply had to have one of these sculptures. I have a plan as to how to display it but will worry about that after acquisition. If you are ever anywhere remotely near the gallery you must stop in and see (all of) the art for real.

What’s gotten a firm hold of my curiosity, is how these acrylic sculptures are actually made, what they look like from different sides, and what Wilkinson’s art book contains. Perhaps his video will satisfy my curiosity, for the most part. Some of his sculptures start out just under one thousand USD to $176,000 USD on his site. I’d like to see how Linda would display these sculptures at the gallery, if they aren’t already. If you follow the Director’s Corner blog, you can see how creative the gallery presents some of its featured art. I imagine the lighting and positioning may be a little difficult with these particular ones, like what is located behind them may effect how they appear, but also you can be creative with it, possibly trying out different colors of light, and so forth.

What’s gotten a firm hold of my curiosity, is how these acrylic sculptures are actually made, what they look like from different sides, and what Wilkinson’s art book contains. Perhaps his video will satisfy my curiosity, for the most part. Some of his sculptures start out just under one thousand USD to $176,000 USD on his site. I’d like to see how Linda would display these sculptures at the gallery, if they aren’t already. If you follow the Director’s Corner blog, you can see how creative the gallery presents some of its featured art. I imagine the lighting and positioning may be a little difficult with these particular ones, like what is located behind them may effect how they appear, but also you can be creative with it, possibly trying out different colors of light, and so forth.

The pieces are irregular faceted blocks - not regular geometric shapes. You can look into any facet and see the figures. the space behind the frosted figures is hollowed out as if the artist took a chisel and carved it out of the block. Linda did show me his book and there is more of the same (without prices) - all of it is wonderful. "Pinnacle" is in the front window and the other pieces are on pedestals throughout the gallery. I think there are many possibilities for displaying them and I'm working on an idea I have for mine. They are still beautiful just the way they are but as Steven suggested, there is no substitute for viewing the real thing. Also, no touching unless you're wearing gloves.

The pieces are irregular faceted blocks - not regular geometric shapes. You can look into any facet and see the figures. the space behind the frosted figures is hollowed out as if the artist took a chisel and carved it out of the block. Linda did show me his book and there is more of the same (without prices) - all of it is wonderful. "Pinnacle" is in the front window and the other pieces are on pedestals throughout the gallery. I think there are many possibilities for displaying them and I'm working on an idea I have for mine.

I'd like to think that these could very easily be made into some sort of Halloweenish display at the gallery, seeing how different themes, like that of the Autumn leaves being used in, what I guess you could almost call an installation, with one painted by Quent Cordair, if I remember right. Thank you for describing them to me. So the book is at the gallery? Way cool if it is!

Thanks for introducing me to Fredrick Hart, Sophia. I'll have to look more at them later but HERE is his website for others to look at if they are interested. Do you have a thread already on this artist? I must have missed it if you did.

My favorite of Wilkinson's is the "Forever" one, which is featured at the gallery, in which the description of it by Wilkinson there says: "Forever depicts the moment of anticipation and profound connection just before a kiss." This is quite a significant work to me personally, but it's also nice to note how the woman is looking up to the man in it... (and I'd like to think that it's not because of a height difference)(but more like her "north", in the sense that Edward Cline means, which can be found in his Sparrowhawk Series)

• 5 months later...

Five more have been added to the gallery, among them two are titled "Elysium II: Promise" link and "Prometheans" link. The latter takes on a silvery appearance. I wonder if that was an intended effect in the sculpture. I like both of these :rolleyes: .

I like this guy's work very much. And his artist's statement sounds very Objectivism-infused. Is he intentionally advocating romantic realism? Or is that just a coincidence?

I like this guy's work very much. And his artist's statement sounds very Objectivism-infused. Is he intentionally advocating romantic realism? Or is that just a coincidence?

Nevermind.

Years earlier he had read The Romantic Manifesto by Ayn Rand and had become interested in her ideas about a category of art called Romantic Realism. Now he began integrating a radical, consciously held esthetic theory with his art.

Neat. Most artists I know are only into weird stuff and environmentalism