Objectivism Online Forum

Che Chavez

Rate this topic

AMERICONORMAN

As I write this missive I do not know whether Chavez has been kicked out of office yet. However I had the opportunity to roam around the Venezuelan Consulate here in Toronto, yesterday, while Venezuelan's lined the sidewalk. Perhaps 700 to 1000 Venezuelans came out to vote, most waited for hours to get there vote in.

By early afternoon, the energy of the crowd affected me. My body shivered at the realization of the importance of what these Venezuelans were doing. Across the street was a small pocket of "No" people, one was a fat che Guevera look alike and, ironically, another was in a shining silver BMW. From time to time they would chant but the crowd lined up across the street totaled in the hundreds. Suddenly I heard a loud vibrating chant: "Se Va, Se Va, Se Va!" Meaning "He's going, he's going...." I can't say for certain that it is true that most of the hundreds were yes people but it sure seemed that way. And this was the moment that got me; when I realized that so many people were so anxious to kick out a dictator from their homeland in another hemisphere.

The event had an impact on me because I have been to Venezuela. I was 12 but it was a nice experience. Venezuela is a beautifual country with beautiful people. The landscapes and paradise-like bodies of water, were captivating. I was impressed back then by the prosperity in comparision to a country like Ecuador. The infrastructure back then was impressive. Industry seemed to dominate the culture. The national oil company's name could be read throughout the region I was in.

Then when I heard that a marxist dictator had come to power, I was saddened. I saw buildings crumbling, and starving people.

So yesterday at the consulate was a pleasant experience.

I don't know the history of Latin America. But there are Bolivarian countries that were liberated by Simon Bolivar and others. And this is my question for someone who knows. How different was the political ideal of these liberators to the founding fathers of America? Did the extra hundred years or so of being influenced by Europe make such a difference? Is Simon Bolivar a man to admire?

And are there any good books you can recommend about this part of their history?

There was a sign at the "No side" outside of the consulate that said: vote no because we are all Bolivarians. Was Simon Bolivar a Marxist?

Americo.