Objectivism Online Forum

Finding search results on threads with multiple pages

Rate this topic

Hi,

Lovely job you're doing here. Thanks to everyone who is making this Forum possible.

I'm wondering if you can help fix something that is annoying.

When I do a search for, say Stove, the famous anti-Popperian philosopher, I get a list of links to search results (hits). If the thread has only a few pages, or only one page, then I can quickly find the highlighted text and thereby the reference I'm seeking. However, when a thread has say ten pages, the only options are clicking on the link to the title of the thread, which takes me to the first page, which is not necessarily the page where the reference is located, or clicking on the last post link, which takes me to the end of the thread, and with the same lack of specificity.

I've never been involved in search engine design, but is it possible to index the actual page locations of each hit, say by a series of numbers (linked to each page) for sequential hits, just below the title of the thread, then a searcher can directly find what the search engine has generated without wading through a multiplicity of non-relevant pages?

Thanx ahead,

<*>aj

A couple of things.

a. RESULT TYPE. you can choose to show the resulting lists as posts or topic. If post, then you get just the posts that contain the text. Then you can click through in context.

b. you could increase the number of posts displayed per page, and thereby create fewer pages to look through, although you still have to scroll.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.