Objectivism Online Forum

Obama's "down payment"

Rate this topic

Just reading this from this article:

Obama signs expansion of children's health insurance

The president calls the Democratic legislation, to be funded largely by higher cigarette taxes, a 'down payment' on his plan to cover all Americans.

Less than two years ago, former President George W. Bush blocked similar bills by congressional Democrats, labeling the proposed expansion of the State Children’s Health Insurance Program as a step toward government-run healthcare.

But,

with Democrats now firmly in control of the White House and Congress, the party's leaders easily pushed through a $33-billion bill that is expected to provide government-subsidized insurance to 4 million mostly low-income children.

And to those that buy cigarettes:

The measure -- funded primarily by increasing the federal tax on cigarettes by 61 cents, to $1 a pack -- sailed through the House earlier Wednesday on a largely party-line vote of 290 to 135. The Senate overwhelmingly approved the bill last week.

"The way I see it, providing coverage to 11 million children . . . is a down payment on my commitment to cover every single American," Obama said before signing the bill in the East Room of the White House.

They are trampling through the tobacco fields first, in order to get their "down payment", to put towards trampling the medical field some more.

"This is the beginning of the change that the American people voted for in the last election and that we will achieve with President Obama," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco) said on the House floor.

Usually I can't stop reading long enough to really look at what's going on around me, but tonight that's what I saw. I really want to try to become an intellectual activist again, but it's difficult for me right now. I'm still trying, but back to reading.

"This is the beginning of the change that the American people voted for in the last election and that we will achieve with President Obama," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco) said on the House floor.

I dont find myself agreeing with Pelosi very often, but here, she got it exactly right. As for those people who voted for change, but not this type of change, they were not paying attention.

You have to nip this in the bud. Over 40% of Canadian taxes go to try to pay for our socialized healthcare, which in many cases amounts to little more than access to a waiting list.

People think you have an unfair system now, just wait until everyone from the middle class down have to wait in line while the rich exercise the option their money has given them and fly to Costa Rica or somewhere to get the medical procedures they need now right fucking now!

You have to nip this in the bud. Over 40% of Canadian taxes go to try to pay for our socialized healthcare, which in many cases amounts to little more than access to a waiting list.

People think you have an unfair system now, just wait until everyone from the middle class down have to wait in line while the rich exercise the option their money has given them and fly to Costa Rica or somewhere to get the medical procedures they need now right fucking now!

You guys should keep track of Canadian politicians who cross the border for medical procedures for themselves or their families, and raise a giant fuss about it every time.

I shudder to think of what would become of America if Obama's gang fails to learn from Canada's disastrous socialized healthcare policies.

Does the USA want to become another Canada? :huh:

You guys should keep track of Canadian politicians who cross the border for medical procedures for themselves or their families, and raise a giant fuss about it every time.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...070914/20070914

The stories are out there. No one seems to care.