Objectivism Online Forum

Long term memory

Rate this topic

What do you mean by hard, exactly?

If you integrate knowledge you're learning with knowledge that you have, long term memory will come naturally. If I don't apply what I'm learning to something I already know, I have a difficult time learning anything. For instance, when I took calculus my last semester, I did not get the grades I would expect of myself in other classes. The issue was the teaching style and resources that I had. For a student that really enjoys math, the way material was presented was very good. But for me, a person who has minimal interest in math, the way material was presented in no way related to anything I cared about. However, since I'm a logical thinker, I was not entirely lost and I was still able to pass.

Another thing you should think about. How do you know you're having difficulty with long term memory? If you understand what you're learning, keep studying. Relate it to things you already understand. Depending on the topic, review what you did the day before. Most of all, identify essential information. Identifying essential information is the most difficult thing to do, since it varies for nearly everyone. But one way to start is asking "How does this relate to me?"