Objectivism Online Forum

I Saw Sherlock Holmes, and It Was Great!

Rate this topic

It was an exciting action flick with clever dialogue and an interesting character dynamic.

It was also a bold defense of rationality against mysticism.

As for Holmes' portrayal as perhaps somewhat odd, I felt that that was a very accurate portrayal of a genius who is so grounded in reality that he chaffs against those what aren't at his level - by no fault of his own. His nemesis, love interest, all approach his level of genius, and that is good.

The only real flaw is that Holmes is not shown solving the 'mystery' of producing and inventing new and wonderful things. But given the frustration many have expressed over this character's fidelity to the original, is that bad?

I know the character was protrayed very differently in the movie than in the books, but the movie by itself was good.

I repeat, the movie was a bold defense of rationality against mysticism. I also liked how Holmes manipulated Watson oftentimes. He only ever used Watson's rational values and love for him, but he always manipulated circumstances so that Watson's choices were constrained so that going with Holmes was the means of achieving his highest available value at the moment. Very clever and refreshing.

Sorry to Sir A.C.Doyle.