Objectivism Online Forum

Voting up posts

Rate this topic

Mindy

Right now, it does not work for anybody.The previous version allowed rating complete topics 1-5. This new version also allows voting for posts, but some set-up needs to be done first.

I forgot about it... one has to set up quotas that allow users a certain number of votes a day... something along those lines.

Will check what other mods think the configuration should be, and get in in place.

Thanks for the reminder.

The way the system works is that each vote counts toward a member's "reputation". On the side of the voter, each voter has a budget: you can only give out a certain amount of reputation each 24 hours. I'm going to try setting it up where all people in the "Regulars" user group earns the ability to give 2 votes (i.e. dole out 2 reputation points) in every 24 hours. Let's see how that goes.

If anyone has suggestions on how best we can use the system, I'd be happy to hear them. (To understand more about how reputations work on this software, visit IPB's forum and check out this topic.)

Edited by softwareNerd

• 2 months later...

Ah! I'd forgotten that I'd only turned the system on for people in the "Regulars" group (i.e. folks who have been around for a while and/or have posted a bit). So, thanks for pointing it out.

Folks in the "Member" group have it too.

Members can make 1 positive and 1 negative vote in a 24 hour period; Regulars can make 2 such votes.

This isn't a forum rule, but I suggest NOT using the rating system primarily based on the "end-result" viewpoint expressed in a post.

For instance, suppose you are arguing with two opponents, members A and B, and suppose another member X, is supporting your viewpoint. Imagine that opponent A comes across as serious about ideas, trying to present his case as strongly as he can, not ignoring key points you make, etc. Also, imagine that opponent B and supporter X are both arguing in a very slip-shod way, verging on being insulting, talking down to their respective opponents, not making good arguments, etc.

In such a situation, I suggest you should mark opponent A's post as positive, and mark posts by opponent B and by supporter X as negative.

Knowledge is not intrinsic. People often have incorrect ideas and have to work through them. As a place where people come to discover and learn, it would be nice if the forum had well-argued threads. In other words, you and X are adding to the long-term value of the forum, while B and X are detracting. So, it would be good to have post-reputation standards that reflect this.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.