Objectivism Online Forum

Recipe: Meatza

Rate this topic

brian0918

37228_1404331961486_1628000776_940709_4402345_n.jpg

This has become a regular dinner around here - we make it maybe once a week, and have leftovers over the course of the week. It is basically a pizza with 2 lbs of ground meat in place of the crust. You could also think of it as a hamburger with a lot of pizza toppings on it. This is adapted from this recipe.

Crust:

1 lb ground beef (grass-fed or other high quality source)

1 lb other ground meat (bison, lamb, or sausage are all great choices)

2 eggs (grass-fed or free range)

1 tsp caraway seeds

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp garlic salt

1 tsp red pepper flakes

1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano

Toppings:

Pasta sauce

1/2 onion, chopped

1/2 green pepper, chopped

5 strips bacon, cut into small sections

1/3 lb hot Italian rope sausage, cut into small chunks

1 cup shredded 4 cheese Mexican cheese

pepperoni

anything else you want to throw on!

Mix together all the spices and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Mix together the ground meat and eggs in a large bowl. Then add the spice mixture to the large bowl, and mix it all together thoroughly. Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.

Add the chopped bacon and rope sausage to a large saute pan, and saute over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. While that is sauteing, pull out a large rectangular pizza pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper to lay in the bottom of the pan. (Tip: to get the paper to stick to the pan, spray a layer of cooking spray on the pan first). Put the meat mixture on the parchment paper-lined pan, and spread it out as much as possible, all the way to the edges of the pan. Make sure to seal up any cracks in the meat crust. Place the pan in the oven, and cook for 10 minutes.

Add the chopped onion and pepper to the saute pan, and turn up the heat to medium or medium-high, depending on how crispy you want the bacon. Stir the vegetables in with the bacon and sausage.

Once the crust is done, the juices will have to be drained from the pizza pan. This part is a little difficult, and usually requires two people - one to tip the pan and pour the juices into a container, and another person to hold the crust in place so it doesn't slide out of the pan. How you accomplish this is up to you. :D

After draining the juices from the pan, spread a small amount of pasta sauce over the top of the crust with a spoon. Then dump the contents of the saute pan onto the crust, and spread them out evenly over the crust. Next sprinkle on the shredded cheese, and then add some pepperonis, and any other toppings you want.

Cook in the oven for an additional 12 minutes. Optionally, you can then use the broiler to make the toppings extra crispy.

And the most important step: enjoy!

post-4514-065197900 1283807280_thumb.jpg

Wow, that looks delicious! I'll be incorporating (or persuasively suggesting, lol) that into the meals that my partner can prepare for us when it's his turn. :)I think we'll try 'personal meatzas' so that the meat juice issue can be resolved without me having to leave my studio prematurely. :)

Wow, that looks delicious! I'll be incorporating (or persuasively suggesting, lol) that into the meals that my partner can prepare for us when it's his turn. :)I think we'll try 'personal meatzas' so that the meat juice issue can be resolved without me having to leave my studio prematurely. :)

Personal meatzas on the grill would be an interesting experiment.

I hope you like it. This is one of our favorite meals, up there with bacon-topped lamb meatloaf, and prosciutto-wrapped lamb burgers topped with tomato and pesto. Can you tell we like lamb? :D

Personal meatzas on the grill would be an interesting experiment.

I hope you like it. This is one of our favorite meals, up there with bacon-topped lamb meatloaf, and prosciutto-wrapped lamb burgers topped with tomato and pesto. Can you tell we like lamb? :D

I can't make myself enjoy lamb, sadly. The texture of the fat grosses me out. It's pasty, or seems that way to me. I love meat from many different animals, but lamb (and elk) I've not found a way to enjoy. Part of the problem is that I rarely eat a meal hot since having children, so the fat congeals before I can eat my lukewarm meal since it does so very quickly (unlike bison, pork, or beef). Not tasty. When I have had bites of it hot, the meat was very tasty- but it's been nearly a decade since then. And it'll likely be another decade before I eat a hot meal, lol.

Elk (from up here) has fat that, left to congeal, is like hard wax- similar to carnauba. Also not yummy, and has to be hacked off my cast iron skillet.

Anyway, the (very yummy-looking) meatza is on the list for the end of this week. :) Thanks for sharing your recipe!