Objectivism Online Forum

Over 50% of Germans equate IDF with Nazi army

Rate this topic

Capitalism Forever

the last sentance in particular scared me: Due in part to its blighted history, Germany is generally considered to be one of the more supportive countries of Israel in Europe.

they are one of the better countries? Jeez it is remarkable how much they are wallowing in their own self-destruction. I just hope the looters continent either collapses or undergoes an ideological change before it has a chance to corrupt America more than it already has. I wonder how these people would act if I called them disgusting racists, no better than a KKK sympathizer. Probably irrational anger.

I hate racism with a passion. Nothing Burns me up more than a businessman who would make a decision based on something so arbitrary as the shape and color of one's skin

The survey also found that 68 percent of Germans believe that Israel is waging a "war of extermination" against the Palestinians, while some 32% disagreed with such a statement

The Mob has spoken. :D:(

What the heck, the vast majority of the world's population lives under governments which disrespect individual rights and property rights.

I say f*ck Palestine.  Blow them back to the stone age.

I'm with you all the way, although please let us abstain from using bad language. The Churchill quote in your signature is one of my favorites; another one is:

"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite." - Sir Winston Churchill

:D

What the heck, the vast majority of the world's population lives under governments which disrespect individual rights and property rights.

What's this "vast majority" stuff? Every person in the world lives under a government that disrespects individual rights and property rights.

America has substantial room for improvement.

What's this "vast majority" stuff?  Every person in the world lives under a government that disrespects individual rights and property rights.

America has substantial room for improvement.

In America you still have many of your rights and still have the right to own property.

Substantial room for improvement? Of course.

Are there nations where their citizens enjoy more individual rights than America? I think not.

The validity of my post still stands.

I dont know about property anymore.

I was watching a program on Public Access about abuse of eminent domain laws.

Essentially local governments would declare privately owned areas "blighted" and take the land (I am not clear on the terms of how the city compensated the people) and then turn around and hand the land to some developer or business that wanted the land, ostensibly to increase tax revenues.

Are there nations where their citizens enjoy more individual rights than America? I think not.

well, we are only ranked 7th most economically free...

You're right. HONG KONG is ranked #1 because of its very low, flat-tax rate, extremely light regulatory burden and very open foreign trade policies compared to the high "progessive" corporate and income taxes, very heavy regulatory burden and protectionist policy of the US for quite a while now. The HK government is more respectful of private property rights. It's a shame the US has fallen behind several nations in this important respect, especially considering what it was founded on and used to be--the first among nations when it came to protecting individual rights. :nuke:

Having spent time in England I find it hard to believe that they are tied with us. Perhaps Scotland and Wales have different regulations but I doubt it. I think that list needs to be viewed with some suspicion.

It's quite true. There's no denying the incredible regulatory burdens businessmen and property owners face in this country relative to some Asian nations such as Hong Kong. Compared to them, our environmental regulations, consumer safety laws and other "safety" standard laws, zoning laws, land-use laws, emminent domain laws and all other laws government the use and disposal of private property makes our government a more persistent violator of property rights. Also, their tax systems are far simpler and less punitive of the most productive: they have very low-flat income and corporate tax rates.

It's not entirely unbelievable that we are approaching the "social market" model Western Europe has trapped itself in for a while now. Britain is actually among the best of the Europeans when it comes to regulatory burden, both for businessmen and wage earners. Did you know that Thatcher repealed the minimum wage law in Britain, and in the consequent decades Britain had one of the best performance in the labor market relative to Europe (full employment and rising real wages)? Of course, Blair and his party restored the minimum wage recently.