Objectivism Online Forum

Any one here in Singapore?

Rate this topic

AbA

Headed there next Tuesday.   Scheduled to be there for three to five weeks.   Will probably be spending most of my time out in the West Anchorage working but should get a day or two in there some where to play tourist.   

Dave   

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm back from my employment adventure to Singapore.  Everything came together and went much quicker than any one was anticipating it happening.   We loaded and sea fastened the jack up drilling rig "Key Hawaii" on to the heavy transport vessel "Transshelf".   It left for Bahrain the day after we finished up.

Got to spend 4 days playing tourist and getting taken around to some very nice places.   Also spent a day over in Johor, Malaysia seeing where the company I was working for is in the process of getting ready to build a new machining, welding and fabrication facility to service the office shore industry.   I

think there's a good chance I might get the opportunity to go back to live and work there for extended periods.

Over all, Singapore has to be the most modern, up beat, industrially booming and economically expanding place I've ever been to.   It's also the third most expensive city in the world in which to live.   Talk about some sticker shock, the average price we paid for a pint of beer was around $18 SD.  Luckily for me the cost of all my lodging and most of my food was picked up by my employer.

While I didn't see or hear any mention of Ayn Rand or Objectivism in my short time there I didn't get any indication that any of her ideas are banned or would otherwise get you in trouble for openly discussing or advocating for.   I guess I could have done a little more in depth research into the matter (like checking a book store for the availability of her books) but I was for the most part just caught up in going with the flow of those I was there with.  

If any one has any specific things they'd like me to try and comment on please let me know.

Well I'm back from my employment adventure to Singapore.  Everything came together and went much quicker than any one was anticipating it happening.   We loaded and sea fastened the jack up drilling rig "Key Hawaii" on to the heavy transport vessel "Transshelf".   It left for Bahrain the day after we finished up.

Got to spend 4 days playing tourist and getting taken around to some very nice places.   Also spent a day over in Johor, Malaysia seeing where the company I was working for is in the process of getting ready to build a new machining, welding and fabrication facility to service the office shore industry.   I

think there's a good chance I might get the opportunity to go back to live and work there for extended periods.

Over all, Singapore has to be the most modern, up beat, industrially booming and economically expanding place I've ever been to.   It's also the third most expensive city in the world in which to live.   Talk about some sticker shock, the average price we paid for a pint of beer was around $18 SD.  Luckily for me the cost of all my lodging and most of my food was picked up by my employer.

While I didn't see or hear any mention of Ayn Rand or Objectivism in my short time there I didn't get any indication that any of her ideas are banned or would otherwise get you in trouble for openly discussing or advocating for.   I guess I could have done a little more in depth research into the matter (like checking a book store for the availability of her books) but I was for the most part just caught up in going with the flow of those I was there with.  

If any one has any specific things they'd like me to try and comment on please let me know.

Whenever I travel, I always go to a few book stores to search for Rand's books. Recently, I found plenty of Rand in Turkey, it was all over the place in the United Arab Emirates, but it was completely absent from Serbia.

AbA,

What do you do for work in general, I know you just "fastened the jack up drilling rig "Key Hawaii" on to the heavy transport vessel "Transshelf"", are you a construction contractor or are you more invested in working on rigs? What is it like living in Montana?

I am an engineer looking to get into the upstream oil and gas industry, just curious.

-Alex

Alex,

In general I earn my living as a welder / fabricator.   All though over the years I've been involved with quite a few different projects for the oil and gas industry I wouldn't say I'm particularly invested in working on drilling rigs.  

If your interested in off shore work I'd recommend checking out a site called RIGZONE.   

What's your particular engineering discipline?

As to living in Montana....I like it (been here 14 years now) it's low key and peaceful.   The wages aren't as high as a lot of other places but that's kind of balanced out by the fact that it's not as expensive to live here if you're willing to accept a certain level of rustic-ness.

As compared to a place like Singapore it's a radically different place.   Montana is 540 times bigger than Singapore but only has 1/5 the number of people.   

Dave