Objectivism Online Forum

A culture of "bull"

Rate this topic

wishbone

A Princeton philosophy professor has written a book named "On Bull...".

He claims that a disregard for the truth is rampant in today's culture, at least in the US. Do you think so?

Very briefly, this intellectual thinks that this indicate an "amoral" attitude, not an "immoral" attitude. People are not really lying these days, he seems to claim, they are merely making up whatever they like reality to be. This, according to him, is immoral. Does his own evaluation bear the seeds of the problem?

Not to comment on that man's work, so much as your own question: Do I think that disregard for the truth is rampant in today's culture? Yes. Because that is a key ingrediant for the disintegrated mind. To paraphrase how Dr. Peikoff put it, the man who wants to win at "Who wants to be a millionaire" on monday and wants to "soak the rich" on tuesday.

I'd have to agree, generally BS is taken as fact. Anyone see Faranheit 9-11? On a different note, the otherwise whacky Z Magazine has a good article on this -

http://www.zmag.org/ScienceWars/anti_rationalism.htm

If your an evil Marxist like you claim, Why are you "dissing" you partners in crime like Micheal Moore?

He's probably refering to the "lies" of the Bush administration, which were "exposed" by Fahrenheit 9/11.

Wow, I didn't even think of it that way. :lol: I guess I never really thought people actually believed any of the propaganda in that movie.

Whoa. Okay, to set the record straight, I was being sarcastic in the introductory section, hence the :lol: in the post.

I was going to go back after the mod threatened to ban me and correct him, but its been moved to a section where I don't think that's possible. Now, I do tend farther to the left then the right but that should not be relevant in a discussion forum.

As for ZMag, I went through an 8 hour phase of liking it, untill I realised it is little more than islamofascist apologetics and out-there thinkers like Howard Zinn.

And Michael Moore's F-9/11 was a piece of crap, plain and simple.

You should all read the article though, it has excllant examples of BS.

Wow, I didn't even think of it that way. :lol:  I guess I never really thought people actually believed any of the propaganda in that movie.

I used to live with a guy who took the movie very seriously (as did many of his friends). The sad thing is that he had read Anthem and Atlas Shrugged and he's still pro-left while trying to integrate Rand into his leftist philosophy.

I used to live with a guy who took the movie very seriously (as did many of his friends). The sad thing is that he had read Anthem and Atlas Shrugged and he's still pro-left while trying to integrate Rand into his leftist philosophy.

Tell him, good luck! :lol:

Why does the image of a child trying to hammer the square peg into the round hole in his little playset come to mind? :D

He claims that a disregard for the truth is rampant in today's culture, at least in the US. Do you think so?

Very briefly, this intellectual thinks that this indicate an "amoral" attitude, not an "immoral" attitude. People are not really lying these days, he seems to claim, they are merely making up whatever they like reality to be. This, according to him, is immoral. Does his own evaluation bear the seeds of the problem?

"Amorality", to me, is an impossibility, as any choice is a choice between being

moral or not. Choosing "moral" choices 47% and "immoral" choices 43% of the

time does not "mix into a gray A-morality."

It is moral 47% and immoral 43%. Period.

So,.. if amorality is not a possibility,.. where does that leave us..?

"Disregard for truth", aka "evading reality" is always immoral, and most societies

make it relatively easy to "evade reality" through pervasive collectivist silliness.

So,.. yeah,.. it's true in America,.. and why does anyone PAY someone for stating

the blindingly obvious, and letting them do it using irrational terms..!?

<boggles the mind, don't it..!?>

-Iakeo

Is disregard for truth rampant in contemporary US culture: Yes.

But the real question is it any worse now than in other time periods and other cultures in world history: No.

Humanity as a whole has had very little interest in truth.

A poem i wrote on the Subject.

The Seeker

I am seeking an object which

Many others find it to be a bitch

While the power of my mind is always

Through out the rest of my long days

Will be searching and striving for it

Struggling and suffering for it

Thirsting and hungering for it

Nothing will ever quench this thirst

Hell will have to freeze over first

Before I ever give up this quandary

Because it is with great sagacity

And ever growing tenacity

That I give the chase for the quandary

This matter that is so elusive

That it has become quit obtrusive

Just how many pretend to know

Treating my object of desire as a foe

Listening to the sweet sounds of omission

All the while it is with fervor commission

They cast my quandary to the red flame

Now they only have themselves to blame

The means of their salvation is ash

Giving up the future in one mad dash

To have the illusion of the carefree

Yet it is all based on the whim ridden plea

Crying out that it is all just so unfair

The world being so cruel, crass, full of no care

So I accord them justice and their due

For if they only had the inkling and knew

That the very thing they scream against

Rally and fight and clash against

Is the very means to having it all

The very thing leading to their downfall

The quandary of my quest and my life

It is joined to me as a loving wife

For I am like a master sleuth

Because I am the Seeker of Truth

... any choice is a choice between being

moral or not. ...

How about the choice of ice-cream flavor: butterscotch or coconut?

What about other optional choices: the choice of decor in our homes; our taste in buildings -- skyscrapers or chalets.

Ethics does have something to say about these choices, but it does not tell us which one to choose.

Ummm... hehe, uh... what about the other 10% of the time? (47% + 43% = 90%)

(P.S. I know this was simply a arithmetical oversight... but it was funny. )

(editted for spelling and grammer)

PANG..!!! :D

Touche...! Hae ae ae ae ae.... Apparently I need an editor. Hae ae ae..

I'm such a card. I only wish I'd MEANT that as a joke.

-Iakeo :D