Objectivism Online Forum

Freedom of speech today.

Rate this topic

Not being American...

Well, that explains what's wrong with Hal... :)

But, on the subject of the post it it crazy that this kind of stuff has gotten this far. It's just another evidence that we are no longer living in a free society. I figured it out a long time ago, I don't know why it's taking everyone else so long.

Well, that explains what's wrong with Hal... :)

But, on the subject of the post it it crazy that this kind of stuff has gotten this far. It's just another evidence that we are no longer living in a free society. I figured it out a long time ago, I don't know why it's taking everyone else so long.

Yes, we are ruled by a government that acts in the name of "freedom," while working furiously to limit individual action in every possible way. We have become what author Kenneth W. Royce calls a "hologram of liberty."

Yes, we are ruled by a government that acts in the name of "freedom," while working furiously to limit individual action in every possible way.  We have become what author Kenneth W. Royce calls a "hologram of liberty."

I am not too big of a fan of Mr. Royce aka Boston T. Party. I have read a few of his books and they are loaded with misinformation. He constantly misquotes people and must not double check his information at all. That being said we are becoming a "hologram of liberty".

Yes, we are ruled by a government that acts in the name of "freedom," while working furiously to limit individual action in every possible way.  We have become what author Kenneth W. Royce calls a "hologram of liberty."

Maybe we should all move to Crook County, Wyoming with him.... :)

Just what threat, specifically, is posed when a kid writes about zombies? This sounds like some politicians overreacted to Columbine, and passed an absurd law in the name of "doing something." They set what amounts to an arbitrary standard of determining what constitutes a threat, rather than make the police actually work (and think!) in order to find and stop genuine threats. But hey, we're all "doing something," and that makes it okay, right? (Forigve my sarcasm.)

Another take on the events is here. It will be interesting to see what the facts surrounding this case actually are. I'd like to see the story before making a decision about the credibility of the charge.

Wow, this article is in stark contrast to the one linked by Hal in the initial post.

The aspect of this story that puzzles me the most in the amount of the bond ($5000). This amount seems too high for "making terrorist threats " and too low for someone "attempting to organize an armed takeover of the school."