Objectivism Online Forum

Facebook

Rate this topic

I joined Facebook originally in order to get access to particulars of certain Objectivist gigs that, some years back, were being announced outside of Facebook, but to get the particulars you had to be able to get into the link to Facebook, which in those days required FB membership. I had not intended to do any socializing there. I had used my real name, and after a few months of being on there, a long-time real-life friend found me and made Friend request to me, which I accepted. Next thing you know, I got Friendy with other real-life friends. Then a deluge, becoming Friend to people I've known only online.

It is a distraction from other projects, but I've so enjoyed it these last seven years or so. I make the rounds to the Page of each of my Friends and see what they've been up to or have had to say. The variety of purposes to which people use their Page is interesting. Many have much interest in politics. Also cats or dogs. My Friends consist of family, philosophy/libertarian types, high school classmates, and gay friends known from when we lived in Chicago. Sometimes I get a Friend request that I accept, but then it becomes evident over a few months, that they were just gathering audience for doing their political spiels, never responding to what I post on my own page, and I unFriend them. Another neat thing about FB that enables one to have the sort of social experience one wants there, is that you can Block a person (whether Friend or not) such that you and they no longer see each others posts, even when you are both posting at the page of a mutual Friend. That's effective: if someone is saying nasty things to you, usually over political differences, just block them, and continue to participate in peace thereafter.

We retired to Lynchburg, VA in 2009, and ever-better internet communications have made it possible to continue or begin anew being with friendly acquaintances of all sorts from across a lifetime.

At my own Page, I don't write about politics, culture wars, etc.---plenty of opportunity to discuss those things at other people's Page. The most wonderful thing I use at my Page is the area they have provided under Photos called Albums. I have created several Albums, friends and family really appreciate them. Me too, and if later on in life, I can no longer remember on my own who I was or my loved ones or what had been my life, I hope there will be someone who will lead me to my Albums.

Edited by Boydstun

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
23 hours ago, Boydstun said:

. . . FB group called "Ayn Rand" –  I found some good responders there and some good threads to join in making comments. I also found some there who were hostile to anything said deviating from Rand, and not willing to think further about anything (the one guy I encountered like that was an old fellow [he was unable to separate Rand's philosophy from her representations of other philosophers such as Kant, and his personal identity was wed to both]). I eventually left the group because the gatekeepers were not liberal enough in what new threads they would allow. [The deal-breaker was their refusal of the piece shown at my own FB page in the first Comment here. They don't explain why they refused to disseminate a post such as that, and I'd go that "summary judgment" route too if I were running a group, so as not to be giving great time to thinking and arguing about process issues within a relatively small subculture and audience.]  With Facebook you are always able to edit or delete anything you post. So, notwithstanding the wide appreciation of the audience there on threads I was permitted to start there, eventually I decided the [operators of the group] did not deserve my participation, I deleted all my threads and left the group. 

Edited by Boydstun

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I submitted my hommage to Leonard Peikoff to the FB Leonard Peikoff Appreciation Group. They refused to post it. (They do not give reasons.) I have posted it verbatim at my own FB page here. As with the FB Ayn Rand Group, I mentioned above,* I've ended up leaving this FB group, holding itself out as friendly to Objectivism, as well. Happy that I am able to share my studies and writings on Objectivist philosophers, other philosophers, and their works here at Objectivism Online. I appreciate this forum and the intelligence and independence of its regular participants, and I appreciate what Leonard accomplished.

Edited by Boydstun