Objectivism Online Forum

Given that there are limits to the rationality of chimpanzees, wolves, dogs, etc., does it not logically follow that there are limits to the rationality of homo sapiens?

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, The Laws of Biology said:

I guess I've been worried about Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett's apparent plan to make "Natural Law" (a modern form of Aristotelianism, in my interpretation) part of the U.S. Constitution, under the thesis that the writers of the Constitution had Natural Law philosophy's principles in mind when writing it.

There are three different questions which may have three different answers.

What should the Constitution say?

What did the writers of the Constitution intend it to say?

What will the Supreme Court say the Constitution says? 

For some time to come, the answer to the last question will be decided in a context in which most people hold badly mistaken fundamental principles.

18 hours ago, The Laws of Biology said:

In the hurly-burly world of high stakes power politics, no one gives a darn about the finer points of philosophy.

It's been said that we may be tired of Covid-19, but Covid-19 is not tired of us.

I propose a similar statement: high stakes power politicians may be tired of philosophical errors, but philosophical errors are not tired of high stakes power politics.

6 hours ago, The Laws of Biology said:

In other words, all philosophy, I'm proposing, is ultimately about who gets to be the boss in society.

All philosophy is ultimately about how to flourish as a human being.  It is a very bad blunder to equate this question to questions about who gets to be the boss in society.

who gets to rule over whom

No one should rule over anyone.

Who has to clean the toilets in the office building, and who gets to sit in the spacious corner office overlooking the park below having a servant bring in lattes and croissants. 

This should be decided by a truly free market, not by politics.  In a truly free market, a person will have to be a lot more productive than a toilet cleaner to get to the corner office and to keep it.

"I love the truth and want the truth to be known."

This is a noble statement.

That's the sort of thing Evangelical Christians say or Jehovah's Witnesses say when they are trying to convert me and you over to their belief system.

It makes sense that they would do this.  Of course, they are badly mistaken about what the truth is.  Also they tend to have unrealistic, simplistic notions of what it should take to win someone over.

Worrying about the end of civilization, and worrying about the role of religion and philosophy in causing or preventing the end of the world, won't accomplish a thing!

Trying to understand what could cause the end of civilization and what will help it flourish in the long run, and trying to understand the role of religion and philosophy in causing or preventing the end of the world, and trying to help others understand these things, can accomplish very much indeed, but over a long time frame.