Objectivism Online Forum

Marrying Non-Objectivists

Rate this topic

*handshake*

The only problem i have with that idea is that it suggests a finite level of virtue that one must achieve before being "marry-able." I mean, I understand the basic premise of what you're saying, but I'd caution against being too cautious. Life is a journey towards perfection, and it's unlikely any of us will reach it in our lifetimes. Thus, in my opinion, it's the commitment to the journey that makes someone marry-able, if the rest of one's personality is in accordance with the other's values.

*returns handshake*

I actually agree with that last point you're making, and here's why:

I'm not advocating a set of "rules" for people to follow. What I mean is that at some point of integration, it is reasonable to assume that a person has chosen the good and will grow and flourish as a rational being. Conversely, a person who has accepted a certain level of bad ideas or taken a certain amount of bad actions can reasonably be judged to have rejected the good and will atrophy and die as an irrational being. And some people are sort of on the fence and demand a wait-and-see attitude.

I don't advocate "not marrying a theist" as a rule, but rather as a guideline. It just doesn't seem like a good idea, generally speaking.

As for being too cautious, it'd be hard to say if someone is too cautious without knowing the wider context involved. I can think of a example from not two days ago of someone I know for whom caution has just prevented a great deal of trouble.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not advocating a set of "rules" for people to follow. What I mean is that at some point of integration, it is reasonable to assume that a person has chosen the good and will grow and flourish as a rational being. Conversely, a person who has accepted a certain level of bad ideas or taken a certain amount of bad actions can reasonably be judged to have rejected the good and will atrophy and die as an irrational being. And some people are sort of on the fence and demand a wait-and-see attitude.

I don't advocate "not marrying a theist" as a rule, but rather as a guideline. It just doesn't seem like a good idea, generally speaking.

Sweet; my only concern was how can one person judge what is "reasonable" for another in such cases.

Expressed as a personal guideline, it's cool... just so long as it's clear that your feelings (about who is and isn't worthy) aren't necessarily the sole objective ones.