Objectivism Online Forum

Your thoughts on my letter to Eric Rothschild?

Rate this topic

I sent the following to attorney Eric Rothschild who is defending the future of America's schools in court today. LINK to news on the case.

Hello Mr. Rothschild,

I wish to, for the sake of a case which will directly affect the future of America, offer a point of argument that I feel would otherwise go unaddressed.

In the case which you are representing 11 parents in Dover it seems, and this is simply from news articles I've read, that the main stand is of the position that 'Intelligent design' is a violation of the separation of church and state. While this is very true I think there is an even stronger argument.

It is true that the teaching of science in America's is in place to give students the tools in which to grasp their world. This is accomplished by the everyday science experiments which you and I both conducted in our years in high school. Experimentation is the mother of science. It is only through the observation of the world around us that we may gain the knowledge we need to live. Through these experiments we learn the means by which 'grasp' our world, that is reason and the unwavering commitment to it.

'Intelligent design' by its very nature seeks to destroy that which is science in our schools today through the subversion of our cardinal tool, reason, to that of faith. Intelligent design seeks to offer, not an alternative but a replacement for the only means by which one can understand our world. This is an attempt to revert back to the dark ages where explanation was sought no further as soon as someone said 'God did it.'

It is true that advocates seek to mask their intentions through the perversion of the scientific method. This is done by citing the fact that the universe it 'too complex' or that we 'did not happen by accident, we must have been created.' They say that it is because we cannot explain these things that we must accept that there was 'a creator.'

While it is very true that there is much to learn about our origin and the nature of our world, we still have to "learn" it. This is not done by inserting arbitrary hypothesis. 'Learning' and the scientific method are based on observing the facts of reality and reasoning towards an explanation through hypotheses that have roots in the facts of reality.

I implore you to unveil the intentions of the advocates of 'intelligent design.' Explore the consequences of an educational system that provides an alternative to the very thing it uses to educate. Exemplify the importance of reason in every single facet of life. In our public school system we must not offer anything but the undeniable, unequivocal, and absolute arbiter of life, REASON.

This case will set a precedence. On one side we will see the preservation of the growth of the intellect. On the other we will see the fall of the age of reason by the hands of those still living by the methods of the dark ages. We cannot let the great nation of America rot from the inside through the subversion of the mind. Take your stand Mr. Rothschild, for your sake, and the following sake of the American ideal, FREEDOM.

Thank You,

Paden Weber

Let me know what you think.

While all true, it seems somewhat superfulous to mention this. Schools are all but explicitly (and there is an argument for explicitly) set against a child's reasoning faculty. There is no reason to not teach ID on that factor because it isn't the concern of the public education system in the first place.

It is a cry of "Hey! That doesn't fit!" that sadly can be applied to the entire education system. So, true, but useful? I don't know.