Objectivism Online Forum

Best Picture: Says Who?

Rate this topic

Linda

Dr. Dianne Durante has written a new essay which explores the Academy Awards process. Best Picture: Says Who? examines the nominations and the academy's membership as well as the academy's standards and predispositions. Dr. Durante's essays are currently being featured in the Artist's Studio at Quent Cordair Fine Art.

I don't like her lumping Braveheart and Gladiator in with all of those other movies just because William Wallace dies at the end. There's nothing wrong with the protagonist dying if it's the more realistic outcome. In Braveheart, it was true to the outcome of the actual historical event, so I really can't understand the criticism there.

And she's wrong when she says LotR was the only one where the protagonists fought through to the end and won...the same happens in both Braveheart and Gladiator. The only difference is that the main protagonist ends up dying.

And what's her beef with A Beautiful Mind? The protagonist doesn't wind up defeated at all. He overcomes tremendous obstacles, using only the power of his own mind and no drugs, and wins the freakin' NOBEL PRIZE in economics. How is that defeat?

(Minor correction of pronoun gender - sN)

Edited by softwareNerd

Star Wars Episode I deserved a Best Picture nod because it was popular? Thats silly, Episode I was not a good movie plain and simple.

Just to dispel the confusion, Dianne Durante wrote:

Few would argue that Star Wars Episode 1 deserved a Best Picture nod simply because the public thronged to see it.

I think the confusion came when she compared winners of best picture to highest grossing pictures. During the article she made no claims regarding what should have been best picture for any year.

Edited by FeatherFall