Objectivism Online Forum

Greetings from Virginia Beach, VA

Rate this topic

My real first name is Vern. I'm very new to the Objectivist philosophy. Since I'm still learning quite a bit about it, I cannot honestly say I have fully adopted it into my beliefs. None the less, my interest was fueled by a number of things I have read so far, things that I have spoken about or thought about myself prior to learning about this philosophy. I find that what I understand of Objectivism so far is very congruent to my beliefs about life.

I've been married 19 years and have one son. Oddly enough, my relationship with my wife has not been strained by the fact that she is a devout Christian and I until recently professed agnosticism. I think I"m slowly drifting towards full tilt atheism.

I've been a law enforcement officer for 18 1/2 years in a neighboring city. I'm pursuing interests in photography with a desire to make an occupational change in that direction in 7-8 years.

My purpose here is to use this forum as a learning tool. I am currently consulting a number of web-related and literary-oriented sources to expand my understanding of Objectivism. As time goes on, perhaps I can contribute to the learning of others in return. I will attempt to offer intelligent and courteous (or at least neutral) discourse, asking for the same as well.

Take care,

Vern

Vern,

Wonderful to hear from you! I live in northern Virginia, although I visit Virginia Beach as much as possible in the summer. In any case, if you're just beginning your study of Objectivism, you're in for one of the greatest intellectual experiences of your life. I've been studying the philosophy for close to seven years and I'm still learning something new every day. I look forward to your questions, thoughts, and comments.

Take care,

Don Watkins III

Thanks Don, I appreciate the welcome.

I just went north to Herndon, VA last month for a band competition my son was involved in. It was a day trip, which was about 4 hours up and 4 back, rather grueling with 8 hours or so competition in between. Good experience for band though.

VES

Hello Vern.

Is there anywhere we can see some of your photography?

Yes, thanks for asking.

http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/showgalle.../500/ppuser/279

http://www.pbase.com/vsteven

I believe some of these are pretty good, but I'm still learning quite a bit about photography.

VES

A lot of those photographs were indeed very good. You should post some of your favourites in the photography thread in "aesthetics" and get some conversation going. <_<

I got interested in photography about 8 months ago, and so bought myself some gear and taught myself the fundamentals. I have a long way to go in terms of becoming a good photographer, but I am really enjoying the challenge.

Thanks for the encouraging comments! I may just post a few in Aesthetics, thanks for the suggestion.

Not sure if what your shooting, but I'm waiting for the Canon 1D Mark II (Digital SLR). I'm on a pre-order list close to the top and should get it within a month or so.

VES

Maybe we can start a photography forum. I need some tips... :D

Thanks erandror!

Until we have a photography forum, here are a couple of the forums I read....

dphoto.us

Great forum, great atmosphere, free gallery space, excellent admin. Has several (knowledgeable) members that were ejected from another more popular web forum for a variety of very arbitrary reasons.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

A more formal atmosphere, very knowledgeable members, I tend to lurk more here than post. A couple of reps from major DSLR camera manufacturers bless these boards with their presence regularly. (and no, this isn't the site referred to above)

www.dpreview.com

(this is the site referred to above) The operator posts interesting news, and the forums CAN sometimes have useful information, but the signal to noise ratio is lower. A lot of the knowledge base this one once had has moved on to either of the two above boards, or any of several other pro-oriented boards.

That's a decent start.

AH yes, that is some top noch machinery. :D

I use the Canon FD (manual focus) system.

I like to have good equipment, but I don't delude myself that it's a substitute for vision or skill. A good manual camera in the right hands can produce equally stunning images. I'm putting money into my gear now so that I may make money off it later.

My current camera is the 10D, which is also a very capable DSLR, but it's lacking in capability compared to the 1 series digitals. My main interest in going with the pro body is quicker more accurate autofocus, more durable body, better imaging sensor, and more resolution. I have a buyer for my 10D already when the other body comes in.

VES

Maybe we can start a photography forum. I need some tips... :D

Tempting idea.. :D

I am a fan of digital photography as well, though being a college student, I can’t afford high-quality equipment yet. You can find my gallery at http://photos.rationalmind.net/

Nice photos, RationalCop!

I am a fan of digital photography as well, though being a college student, I can’t afford high-quality equipment yet.  You can find my gallery at http://photos.rationalmind.net/

Nice Gallery! I especially like the older b/w photos, particularly the one by the tent with you cooking.

VES