Objectivism Online Forum

Cars - By Pixar

Rate this topic

Has anyone seen Pixar's latest movie, "Cars"?

The Star-Telegraph's review popped up on my Google alert, because of the Ayn Rand mention:

...it’s just a bore. A children’s film without pizazz and momentum is hardly a children’s film at all. And it marks the second consecutive time — following The Incredibles , with its Ayn Rand-ian obsessions about the equality of men — that Pixar seems to have lost sight of its target audience.
I liked "Incredibles" (as did my 7-yr old). So, I figure that it might be a good idea to see a movie panned by a reviewer who also did not like "The Incredibles".

Scott Holleran has a review, titled "Strong Visuals offset Weak Story".

I went to see it in the theater yesterday, and overall I found it to be fairly enjoyable. I think the worst aspect of the movie, and it was fairly minor, was that the characters weren't portrayed with any great strength; the bad guy wasn't portrayed as evil, just as the kind of mediocre jerk that you meet everywhere . . . the good guys weren't really great, just sort of . . . decent, and they didn't get enraged by evil, just a little ticked off.

Since the story is kind of a morality play (as most good children's stories are), the lack of really strong distinctions between good and bad "sides" left it kind of flat; all the brilliant colors of Pixar's animation, without the same brilliant shades reflected in the action.

If you take a young, inquisitive child to the movie, you will probably wind up explaining why the characters acted the way they did and the significance of those actions.