Objectivism Online Forum

movies you'd like to see made

Rate this topic

My memory is a bit hazy. I thought Galt left at the end of the story. If not, there could be a bit of artistic license taken to make it that way.

As far as I remember, Galt leaves and then what is described is the decay of the motor company due to the altruistic management practices.

I'd love to see the story of Nat Taggart made into a movie. How he was poor, but it didn't matter because he had ability. How he eloped with beautiful, rich girl whose familiy disowned her because he was poor. How he struggled to build his railroad, including the story of using his wife as collateral (with her consent). I think it would be a great movie.

Another book I'd like to see made into a movie is Calumet "K". It's a great book. Oh... I see it's already been made into a movie in 1912. http://imdb.com/title/tt0434478/ I can't find it on netflix though, so I'm going to guess it's hard to find. In that case, its probably the first time I'll say that I would like a remake made.

I'm sure there's more, but I'll leave it here.

PS: Galt leaves at the beginning.

The following is a movie idea that I am giving away to whoever is willing to write it and get it made. I give it away because at the present time my creativity is a gushing overflow only dammed by lack of time. Consider it and act of charity or an act of benevolence. But there is a so selfish reason why I give it away: I WANT TO SEE IT MADE REAL!

I offer it because I doubt I will ever get around to writing it in the next few years. It's possible but I would need a collaborator who is intimate with hip hop culture.

I am confident that it can be successful given the success of 8 Mile and Brokeback Mountain. Mine is an original story that happens to correct some of the flaws of those other movies.

The following is an excerpt from a letter to someone I met one day who in spirit and in body would have made the perfect rapper (in my vision).

Jose Gainza.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The theme of my rap movie is that real rap is poetry, and that a rapper’s image shouldn’t matter, certainly not his gangster image; but rather his talent as poet-musician-performer. The art of the “street poet” has a lot of potential, and a long way to go (today). The story is also about integrity, honesty, and love.

A writer of fiction who is philosophical is the hero, the protagonist. The antagonist is an aspiring rapper: a great poet. Both take their art seriously and will not compromise it. They are lovers. But it is kept secret because of the rapper’s career.

One day the novelist presents to his boyfriend a few poems, which are great, amazing (these have yet to be written by me … but they should be political and about the art of poetry). The rapper wants to include them in his upcoming debut album. The novelist refuses because he doesn’t want those poems to be made into a rap; and because the world does not deserve to read and hear those poems. The idea is “love is exception making; to have those poems exclusively for the eyes of the rapper makes the gesture that more special and romantic.”

The novelist thinks the matter is settled. And the rapper does not understand the novelist’s seriousness over the matter.

The novelist goes away to some isolated place, to finish his novel, for a couple of months. Meanwhile, the rapper’s album is produced and it hits the stands and is an immediate success. Three songs reach the top spots on the charts. When the novelist returns, he is listening to the radio in the cab, and he recognizes his lines on the lips of his lover on the radio.

He goes immediately to the rapper’s house, where he is having a barbecue with his friends. He confronts the rapper and orders him to take the album off the shelf. The idea here is that an artist has complete ownership and privilege over his work. The rapper pretty much laughs in his face because it is an impossible request, because so many other people now have interest in the success of the album.

The novelist sues the rapper, his lover. The fact of their love is still secret to the public. But the viewer knows it early because it makes the law suit more dramatic. The novelist wins the case and the rapper’s career and reputation is ruined. The producers are affected too.

The rapper’s motivation in “plagiarizing” the rapper’s work was simply that he had a right to because they were lovers and soul mates. But this is not brought up at trial and thus the public believe the rapper to be lower than they should

Now the story gets going. The rapper feels betrayed and gets his contacts to plan the murder of the novelist. The rapper manages to re-start the love affair but it is a con in his mind, so that the murder could be executed without suspicion. And yet the rapper is writing his best poetry ever, and his muse is his lover. So that he still has the necessary passion for the novelist, he is in love with him. But he has to punish him for “betraying” him. Just like the novelist was able to sue the rapper, thus killing his career and wealth, so the rapper is willing to kill his lover.

How will it end?

I want the rapper to stop the contract just in time, to tell the novelist about it, and to still keep the novelist as his lover. His remorse must be genuine and his change of character must be real. And for the whole thing to be believable, their relationship must be shown to be one where they are perfect for each other, where no other human is as right for each of them as they indeed are.

Perhaps, the rapper is left satisfied with playing at the local club and bar circuit. Thus will be shown the essence of the rap-art experience—taken away from the fame—the artist intimate with his listeners (live).

Edited by AMERICONORMAN

• 3 months later...

After thinking of my movie idea, three spots above, I had an idea. The rapper does not have to be a white gay male. He could be a white straight female, kind of like a white Lauren Hill, or a Pink (but without the aggressiveness).

That would work and be intense too (like when she plots to kill her "lover").

Jose Gainza.

cyrano de bergerac would be great!
There are two movie versions, the old one and the new one, and a fair amount of debate as to which one is better. (I recommend the old version if sub-titles distract you and the new version if that's not important to you, or if you know French, or if you can find a dubbed version, or if you think B&W movies aren't colorful enough!)

The old one, the Jose Ferrer one, version is acceptable, still very entertaining, well acted, but disappointing in that some scenes are altered, some are added, some are missing, the perspectives change. I think a movie should do the movie exactly like the play except by make the necessary improvements that the camera, cinema, and sound allow for.

I personally prefer the Gerard Depardieu version because it is more whole than the one just mentioned. Some scenes are missing but the sound of the french by a good actor is such a welcomed relief.

Actually the one that is most complete is a movie of a play starring Derek Jacobi. The acting from what I recall is superb, however, I do think that Jacobi yells too much. This is what I liked about Ferrer, he didn't yell so much; he had this Zorro quality.

A good English newer version I think could star Hugh Laurie, while he can still be made to look young.

A great French version today, today, I wouldn't know of who could star in it.

Jose Gainza.

I completely forgot the Golden Compass series by Philup Pullman and Spring-heeled Jack which pullman did a graphic novel for.

I believe The Golden Compass is currently filming--it has Eva Green and Nicole Kidman in it. In any case, it's scheduled to be released in exactly one year (December 7th, 2007). Is that a cool coincidence or what? (And maybe all the goofy Christian types will consider that another date that will live in infamy--and I sure hope the script doesn't ruin the wonderful atheistic thrust of the books.)

I sure hope the script doesn't ruin the wonderful atheistic thrust of the books.
According to Wikipedia (read: 'allegedly'), the original director wanted to tone down the 'overtly religious' nature of The Authority, but this upset fans. After pulling out, he returned and promised to keep the religous allegory intact.

I'd like to see an epic version of Paradise Lost. I'd like it to finish what Milton seems to start in making Satan a heroic character, treat God's prescience and paradise as the prison they are, and portray the fall and original sin as Man's triumphant escape and victory over God. I think that would be cool.

-Q

A good English newer version I think could star Hugh Laurie, while he can still be made to look young.

A great French version today, today, I wouldn't know of who could star in it.

Jose Gainza.

Actually, I finally saw both Pirates of the Carribean, and I think that Johnny can do Cyrano quite well, if he can get rid of the Hunter S Thompson remnants in the character of Captain Jack Sparrow. That he did Don Juan De Marco, gives me hope that he will be wonderful in the role of Cyrano. Thanks to modern make-up, we can transform his flawless beauty into the required ugliness.

Jose Gainza.