Objectivism Online Forum

OOL Website Did Not ERxist Last Night

Rate this topic

mweiss

Last night, around 6:30, I tried to access the Blog section of this site, when suddenly I got the MSN "We can't find..." web page. Later on, I tried doing a whois, in an attempt to find the IP address, but as the screen shot I've uploaded shows, there is no such domain name (as of last night).

I asked some other people on different ISPs to try to access OOL, and they got 'page not found' errors. I also tried it last night from the radio station where I work and got their Yahoo page with a 'does not exist' message instead of OOL.

Just curious as to what happened between last night and this morning.

If you want to know the details, the web host for the dedicated server this website runs on bounced the scheduled credit card payment and locked down the server until we resolved things this morning. This is the second time they've done this to a perfectly good credit card on a weekend, when their billing department is MIA.

I will be changing web hosts as soon as I find a superior alternative. If you are considering a web host, I DO NOT recommend 1and1. (Or iPowerWeb, which is even worse.)

Holy cow, no grace period? Even Earthlink gives a few days to resolve a problem with a CC payment. My debit card does this from time to time (really a bitch when you've just eaten at a restaurant and the manager comes to inform you that your card was declined and you have no cash) and I don't see why, as I always had enough cash in the bank to cover the purchase 10 times over.

I have one of my sites on Readyhosting.com. They're okay, if a bit slow for downloading video. There are probably better providers out there. I migrated most of my web sites from third party hosts to my own server last February. Life has never been sweeter!

PS: I just noticed my spelling. I really NEED to get a new pair of reading glasses and a keyboard that has bigger keys!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.