Objectivism Online Forum

Human-to-nature relationship is psychology

Rate this topic

The one discipline that, sad to say, has hitherto remained virtually untouched by any concern for the environment or the human-to-nature relationship is psychology. You will search in vain in the texts and journals of any of the major schools of psychology—clinical, behaviorist, cognitive, physiological, humanistic or transpersonal—for any theory or research concerning the most basic fact of human existence: the fact of our relationship to the natural world of which we are a part.

Any thoughts on whether your relationship with nature is or should be a genuine concern?

I'm going to go take a shower, now.
Oh, fine, so you're gonna wash off all of that natural filth that binds you to nature and makes you one with the pig and wombats? Be that way, but if you suffer psychological damage and need a recommendation for a tribal shaman to repair your qui (no, wait, that's "guinea pig" in Quechua), or qi or fung hooey or whatever, don't come crying to me.

The one discipline that, sad to say, has hitherto remained virtually untouched by any concern for the environment or the human-to-nature relationship is psychology. You will search in vain in the texts and journals of any of the major schools of psychology—clinical, behaviorist, cognitive, physiological, humanistic or transpersonal—for any theory or research concerning the most basic fact of human existence: the fact of our relationship to the natural world of which we are a part.

Any thoughts on whether your relationship with nature is or should be a genuine concern?

In fact there is environmental psychology which is concerned with this subject. Furthermore evolutionary psychology said something about this issue too.

Nevertheless I don´t consider lack of texts about this topic bad. It would be terrible to listen to green nonsense even in psychology.

I care about whether or not I adapt to nature, i.e., where a raincoat in the rain, wear a jacket in the cold, and take my jacket off in hot temperatures. I also care about how nature can be adapted to suit my needs. That is the only relationship with nature we should care about, i.e., whether or not we have adapted it to us and how we adapt to it when it cannot be adapted to us.