Objectivism Online Forum

Bloggers

Rate this topic

John

I've noticed that a few of you have bloggers. I've made my own blogger but there are some things that I have to fix/improve before I can install it on the site. What are some good features that I should have? Also after you get your blog running how do you get people to go to it (besides making good posts)?

Some basic tips (in my opinion) about having a good blog:

1. Keep it simple. If the emphasis is on what you are writing, keep your blog nice and simple.

2. The text should be very easy to read. Make sure that your main text is very easy to read, especially if your emphasis is on your writing.

3. To get your blog out there, my suggestion is that you give out the web address to everyone you know that would be interested, and get your blog in as many webrings, blog lists, etc., that you can. Check out http://www.blogpromotion.com/blog/ for a long list of different webrings and other means of blog promotion.

4. Check out my blog for further suggestions at http://rationalegoist.rationalmind.net Check out the sites I am linked to and all of the webrings I am a member of (which you can find at the bottom of the page.

Thanks I like the webring idea. I will try it once I get everything working. I uploaded the site today at My Webpage. Tell me what you think. There are a few bugs that I have to fix but I'm glad I at least got it to connect to the database and display something. I'm going to try to get a lot of it fixed tomorrow.

I read you blog. I will try to get into webrings later though.

Ok. I've got my webpage working. All of the features I have so far work. I was wondering if it is ok to just link to anyones web pages. RationalEgoistSG you have a lot of good posts that I would like other people to see. And so do you GreedyCapitalist. It won't cost you anything and I may get some people to go to your sites. If at any time you want me to stop I will. So is it ok?

John,

A comment: You don't need to ask for permission to link any domain name. There are some courtesy rules about linking content within a website, but none about linking a website itself.

There is no rule about reciprocating links either, although when it comes to blogs, the best way to show that you appreciate or enjoy content within a website is to link to it. There is actually a number of exchanges that track the value that an additional link will bestow on the target blog.

RationalEgoistSG (Steve right?): I'm going to put a link to your site on mine. If you want to put mine on yours just make it John Mercier since the site is http://www.johnmercier.net.

I don't only want to link to your sites I want to be able to post quotes from them and say what I think about them. I have learned a lot from them so I wanted to ask you first.

Yeah my name is Steve. Sure, go ahead and post quotes from my blog if you'd like, just make sure that you always give proper authorship. Also, whenever you give a quote, I would request that you please say something like, for the full context of this quote, please refer to The Rational Egoist's post on...date of post, titled...title of post and give the link to my website.

Ok I plan on posting something about your website soon I just have to find the posts that I am interested in. I liked the one that said the reason for war with Iraq didn't matter if Iraq had weapons or not but the fact that it is a dictatorship and an immoral government. There are a lot of other ones that I would like to point out too. I also want to know if you have anything posted about rational egoism. I think being a rational egoist is confused with a guy who just thinks he's right all the time no matter what. It's important to know the difference.

GreedyCapitalist, How does blogshares work? Do I have to add any code to my website or does it just count the number of links I have to others and others have to me? I'm going to try it out.

• 1 month later...

Another great way to get traffic is to go to other people's blogs and leave comments. Of course, you can't just whore for traffic ("Visit my site!!") so you'll need to leave something substantive. What's great is that the more substantive your comment, the more likely people reading the comment will click through to your blog. If your blog's content doesn't fulfill that expectation, though, those who clicked through won't bookmark you or subscribe to your feed.

The first task, then, is having great content and updating it regularly. That's the best advice I can give you. It really is a case of "If you build it, they will come." Except that it's going to take awhile to build up the audience.

Thats a good idea. I'm going to start thinking about things to write about to get some content on my site. I've also signed up for blog snob and blog shares. Right now I'm almost worth 500,000.

By the way do you have a blog?

I'm going to start thinking about things to write about to get some content on my site.

One thing that I do to help me get through content doldrums is to have several essay ideas at the ready, keep a bookmarks folder called "Stuff to Post" that I can dig into whenever I need to, and I read widely looking for other people's content that I can riff off of.

I see what you are saying. It's a good idea to always have something thought out before you post. I'm starting a few word docs that I'm going to write then post. I know of another good way to get content. You could subscribe to newsletters for just about anything and everytime you get one you could post what you think about it. I just got one from the ELF where they try to defend "water rights" by blowing up a water pumping station. The idea is to get some news and write an objective evaluation of it.