Objectivism Online Forum

walking d last mile

Rate this topic

I hav a non objectivist bf, been together for almost 2 yrs now, i do love him. he is rational all rite, however, not sum1 that can be counted as obJvst by far. I can even move on, tho i know i love him, but if things not working out, its best to move on witout causing pain to each other. however, he doesnt want to let go. and its a little difficultt thing to do when jus one person sees things this way. I am constantly in a state of contemplation, and not expecting anything gud, so exhausting myself with work day and nite. I fail to understand why i should love him so,when his perceptions dont match wid mine, by whc i dont mean any personal thoughts, jus obctvst ideas. and yet i know i am wasting energy.

also, i try to expect close to nothing from him, coz i dont want to base myhappiness on any oher person. but things get imbalanced coz d expectations from the other side are too much. i tend to feel, he is taking me for granted, would it be the same if i expected so much? Evrything seems like a mess, and if there is so much thoughts and efforts reqd, if things dont come naturally, den i dont c d point. i can have the strength to walk over, and still love him in my heart, but he doesnt see this. i am in pain and i feel disgusted at bieng vulnerable to anyone.

FYI, there is a forum rule which says "Respect your reader by following the rules of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style. If you make more than occasional errors, spell-check and repeatedly proofread your posts before submitting them. Posts with frequent misspellings or grammatical errors will be deleted at the moderator's discretion." Henceforth, please use proper English in your posts. Text-talk is fine for texting, but here we require rule-governed standard English.

I want to help you but I have to admit that it is hard to understand what you are trying to say. Your non-Objectivist boyfriend is making things hard for you because he doesn't fit in well with your philosophy, am I correct? I think the best thing to do would be to just talk to him about it and explain your feelings. Unless he's a complete idiot then he'll listen to you, and if he refuses to listen to you then you won't feel so bad about leaving him.

I hav a non objectivist bf, been together for almost 2 yrs now, i do love him. he is rational all rite, however, not sum1 that can be counted as obJvst by far. I can even move on, tho i know i love him, but if things not working out, its best to move on witout causing pain to each other. however, he doesnt want to let go. and its a little difficultt thing to do when jus one person sees things this way. I am constantly in a state of contemplation, and not expecting anything gud, so exhausting myself with work day and nite. I fail to understand why i should love him so,when his perceptions dont match wid mine, by whc i dont mean any personal thoughts, jus obctvst ideas. and yet i know i am wasting energy.

also, i try to expect close to nothing from him, coz i dont want to base myhappiness on any oher person. but things get imbalanced coz d expectations from the other side are too much. i tend to feel, he is taking me for granted, would it be the same if i expected so much? Evrything seems like a mess, and if there is so much thoughts and efforts reqd, if things dont come naturally, den i dont c d point. i can have the strength to walk over, and still love him in my heart, but he doesnt see this. i am in pain and i feel disgusted at bieng vulnerable to anyone.

Daz k, shorty, U gaz 2 realize dat U need 2 do wuz rite fo U. Tryin to be nice, dat ain't where is at. Only gonna kaz mo drama dat way.

Daz k, shorty, U gaz 2 realize dat U need 2 do wuz rite fo U. Tryin to be nice, dat ain't where is at. Only gonna kaz mo drama dat way.
Reminds me of Barbara Billingsley talking to Kareem Abdul-Jabar. I didn't know you were bilingual. Edited by DavidOdden

I didn't know the forum had rules of 'style'. ^Sometimes I speak in that 'style'...is that okay? Permitted? Purdy pweeze?

Okay, now onto what the thread was really about. What was it really about? Girl, I wouldn't really ask for dating advice from here. Whoever it was that recommended you talk to him...they have the right idea. I'm not really sure what exactly the problem is, you'd have to give more detail...but I think you can probably make decisions for yourself. Good luck.

*mumbles* It's pretty cool how mods can make useless, irrelevant, smartass comments and they stay up...but then soooome posts just...thrown in da gobbage.

Edited by Kori

Reminds me of Barbara Billingsley talking to Kareem Abdul-Jabar. I didn't know you were bilingual.

Did they ever actually talk to each other? That would be fun to hear.

I've lived all over the US and am fluent in several dialects. :) I could give a more thorough answer but I thought it important to protect our reputations as philistines. Also, there is much less disagreement when you communicate in the same language as the questioner.

I didn't know the forum had rules of 'style'. ^Sometimes I speak in that 'style'...is that okay? Permitted? Purdy pweeze?

Sorry Kor, that's not style. It's destruction of english posing as "cool". It has a purpose when you're fat fingering a keyboard and pay by the word.

Haven't you ever heard someone talk like that in real life? It's a dialect, not destruction of the English language. I understand you maybe wouldn't wanna write your term paper on knitting with that dialect, but some folks talk like that in real life and I think it jazzes up the board to hear people attempt to communicate how they really speak. Gives a better feel for that person's...personality. Hah. Much better than um...y'know...the kind of stuff you find in Rules and Regulations and Declarations 'n' whatnot. "I hereby set my hand and affix my seal..." Heehee.

Haven't you ever heard someone talk like that in real life?
Whatever. Written and spoken English are not the same, and you shouldn't write like you talk even if you natively speak standard facy English (as I do). Use the proper written form when you're writing. Please try to undertand that this forum rightly takes pride in engaging philosophically issues seriously. Edited by DavidOdden

Lan' sakes, chile, yo' got a treat in store fo' yo' if you ain't see Airplane.

So if you happen to speak That Dialect from Boston (Cliff Clavens'), are "pat" and "part" pronounced the same? I've never gotten the straight story.

Only lived there for a few months, but I think that the R isn't completely eliminated. Just replaced with a soft y/w/h merged sound.

I've not yet seen airplane.

Sorry Kor, that's not style. It's destruction of english posing as "cool".

Or posing as being "cute". It's rather like "baby talk" and similar to entries and dialects found in the "Urban Dictionary" here. I wouldn't, and haven't, talked to my daughter with such "baby talk", for fear she might actually talk like that when she is 18, too... It's one thing in conversation, but on a forum? ...which is a much more formal setting than in the chat or in those messengers.

Edited by intellectualammo

Whatever. Written and spoken English are not the same, and you shouldn't write like you talk even if you natively speak standard facy English (as I do). Use the proper written form when you're writing. Please try to undertand that this forum rightly takes pride in engaging philosophically issues seriously.

I agree that they're not the same, but I think there are certain situations where it would be okay to write the way you speak. I don't think that speaking/writing with a certain dialect means that you can't engage philosophical issues seriously. In day-to-day philosophical conversations (not in message board debates), that's how it goes. I mean, I understand where you're coming from, but at the same time I can't help but find it a bit bland/boring. I really enjoy learning about different peoples' personalities, and that includes how they speak, their mannerisms, etc. It's difficult to pick up on that kind of thing on a forum, or even in messenger, so I enjoy when people try to bring it to life as best they can. (Then again, many people speak in a very proper/formal way, and I can definitely appreciate that, too). I'm torn. :lol:

Intellectualammo, I am with you on the baby talk thing 100% (even though for some reason I baby-talk my dog *cringe*). However, I've not really seen any evidence that a child who is spoken to in such a manner would grow up to speak like a 'tard themselves. Hah. Hmm. I was talked to like that for sure and I think I speak (or have the ability to speak, when I choose to) in a 'proper'/'formal' way.

Did they ever actually talk to each other? That would be fun to hear.

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=HHdpBsTaSNI" target="_blank">http://youtube.com/watch?v=HHdpBsTaSNI</a>

Edit: I assumed this is what David was talking about, but I just realized that this isn't Kareem Abdul-Jabar, although he was in the movie as well. :lol: Hilarious nonetheless.

Edited by K-Mac

Written and spoken English are not the same, and you shouldn't write like you talk even if you natively speak standard facy English (as I do).

Indeed, David. I find it funny - only in reference to yours truly - that this should be brought up at this point in time. As it happens, I had realised not a week ago that if I make it to OCON08 as planned then you fine people are occasionally going to have a hard time understanding what is being said by this impish bloodnut Aussie. I had visions of someone writing a tongue-in-cheek pseudoscientific blog entry on the translation of Strine to Standard English. There would be categories that include:

- direct mapping: "Nice car!"

- trivial translation: "G'day."

- that which requires a small amount of thought: "Ojorsis!"

- that which requires a moderate amount of thought: "Ca'ahn!" (Note: this is NOT a Trekkie reference - in Australia this is spelled as "Carn")

- that which requires an enormous amount of thought: "Chahka yewie eermate! EER EER EER yamugg!"

- that which appears to be easily translated but is nevertheless quite baffling: "Yeh nah, mate." (Note: Japanese would understand this one.)

- that which simply causes cognitive collapse: "Gizasquiz?"

Consider yourselves fortunate that I recognise your potential difficulties (particularly in light of the fact that the physical contexts of the aforementioned Strine expressions and others like them are often instrumental in their proper comprehension), and, consequently, do indeed write in The Queen's English for the purposes of this forum. At OCON08 I will try to speak it as well, but I can make no promises. May the gods help you if some New Zealanders show up.

JJM

Edited by John McVey

May the gods help you if some New Zealanders show up.

Alternatively, since you are Objectivists rather than mystics, you will look for solutions and trading opportunities. With that in mind, I offer my translation services. $200/hr, plus a $500 non-refundable retainer.

---

YADATROT:

Miss Ansari, I do hope we haven't scared you away. Rewrite what you have in mind in a readable condition (and we do in fact make considerable allowance for genuine difficulties arising from English as a non-primary language), and you will be treated with respect.

JJM