Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand and the Internet

Rate this topic

From my personal introspection and experience with others, people have become accustomed to living by no principles whatsoever, and instead feel they are forced to shoot around in the dark to discover the "right answer". Most often the "right answer" is whatever is most convenient to them. So, when it is convenient to advocate human rights, they will do so, and when rights become inconvenient, they will disregard them.

True. And that makes life, not to mention arguments, very difficult.

On a related note, those who more vehemently claim there's no black and white, are the ones who will throw away any principle if they find there may be a rare or trivial exception to it.

On websites that have moderation systems, expect your posts to be moderated "down" into oblivion, but also expect that certain of your posts will strike a particular chord with readers, and get moderated way "up".

Yes, indeed. I once moderated a science fiction board. I was very careful not to delete or block posts only because I disagreed with the ideas expressed. I counter-argued instead. But I've been on the receiving end as well. And that's another reason it helps to stay polite and within the rules. It also helps to gain a measure of popularity outside arguments. I've had some success by posting reviews of books and TV shows and movies.

Why do you guys care if you convince a few others of Objectivism? Seems like a selfless service to me, since it isn't going to change the world dramatically in your lifetime anyways. The majority of people currently will reject the ideas no matter what you say and the smaller percentage who would accept the ideas gravitate towards similar ideas anyways.

Are you kidding? Did you know that the general attitude toward slavery in this country was changed by a few vocal and outspoken activists within TWENTY YEARS?! I'm personally interested enough in a brighter future that I'm willing to devote, at the very least, a few minutes' typing to it each day.

Did you know that the general attitude toward slavery in this country was changed by a few vocal and outspoken activists within TWENTY YEARS?!
That would be a very motivating story to read. Do you know of any written works by one of those activists?

That would be a very motivating story to read. Do you know of any written works by one of those activists?

Try C. Bradley Thompson's collection Antislavery Political Writings, 1833-1860: A Reader. His mini-course on "American Slavery, American Freedom" draws on some of this material and is quite a good listen in its own right.