Objectivism Online Forum

Does The Free Market Work For Agriculture?

Rate this topic

dadmonson

"The free market has never worked in agriculture and it never will." That is what one farmer had to say about the free market's past relationships with agriculture. His name was George Naylor and he is president of the NFFC. The NFFC is an organization(according to their website) against big business, free trade, they are against GMO foods, and in favor of more gov. involvement so obviously George was biased. I was wondering though are their any concise papers, articles or books out there that argue in favor of the free market, addressing many of the statists arguments against free trade and denouncing government intervention in agriculture?

What info do you know about this subject?

Also has anybody here ever read The Omnivores Dillemma by Michael Pollan?

Edited by dadmonson

Read "Economics in One lesson" by Henry Hazlitt.

I've recommended that book multiple times on the forum, so I apologize if the recommendation is redundant. I think it is probably the best book for a beginner to pick up and get a basic context from which to ask further questions.

"The free market has never worked in agriculture and it never will." That is what one farmer had to say about the free market's past relationships with agriculture. His name was George Naylor and he is president of the NFFC. The NFFC is an organization(according to their website) against big business, free trade, they are against GMO foods, and in favor of more gov. involvement so obviously George was biased. I was wondering though are their any concise papers, articles or books out there that argue in favor of the free market, addressing many of the statists arguments against free trade and denouncing government intervention in agriculture?

You might want to take a look at FA/RM. It's a new activist organization founded by Monica Hughes, devoted to supporting freedom in agriculture. (The acronym stands for "Free Agriculture - Restore Markets".) They've only been around for a few months, but Monica in particular has been blogging up a storm over there. I'm sure she'd be glad to give you pointers to additional material.

Check it out.

What info do you know about this subject?

Also has anybody here ever read The Omnivores Dillemma by Michael Pollan?

dadmonson, you might want to take a look at the actions of the Canadian Wheat Board, for an example of how bad government involvement in farming can be.

Here is one example (PDF) http://www.wheatgrowers.ca/pdf/media_relea...led-farmers.pdf

His definition of "works" and yours might be different.

He might mean free markets make it impossible for "the little guy" to be profitable using antiquated methods.

It is entirely possible that this statement is true. However, that doesn't mean that consumers would find it impossible to buy food in a free market by any stretch of the imagination.

His definition of "works" and yours might be different.

He might mean free markets make it impossible for "the little guy" to be profitable using antiquated methods.

I was thinking about that, that is why posted this. I was also thinking that subsidies would make agriculture more profitable during the winter months and droughts.