Objectivism Online Forum

Why Read Atlas Shrugged?

Rate this topic

Hey. I was wondering if you could lend some help. I am trying to persuade a group of people, with no prior knowledge of Objectivism (who knows what they think), Ayn Rand, or Atlas Shrugged, that they should read it. It is really hard for me to stay unbiased.

I was thinking to present its significance by relating the content of the novel to today's world and look at the similarities. Although that will probably be hard to stay unbiased (whether I'm right or not). Definitely take a look at its significantly increasing popularity, and try to explain that the reason for that is its relevance to today's world. Explain how it is actually a mystery novel and maybe touch on the story some more (how effing cool it is!). I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

I just tell people it is a really good story and that I think they might "get it". I don't even try to get people who are not at least inclined toward freedom/classic liberal tendencies to read it.

I suppose you could use the shotgun method (you are bound to hit something sooner or later), but I'd rather conserve my ammo for a clean head shot. :)

There are so many ways in which to approach this, it really depends on who it is you are trying to convince. I think this is a good video to show anyone, though. Atlas Shrugged does speak a lot of capitalism, but it is still a great literary piece and should be read for that reason. Personally, I first read it a few years ago because it sounded cool that powerful industrialists would decide to go on strike. I didn't need any more than that. If the people you are trying to convince to read it aren't so big on reading fiction or literature in general, you would probably be best off mentioning how it has had an impact on your way of thinking.

You could explain how the story foretells a situation very like the credit-crunch, financial crash, banking crisis and bailout situation that's dominated the news for the last couple years. Except in Atlas Shrugged one person was causing it all, deliberately. One individual/group was trying to switch off the motor of the world.

That should hook them in!