Objectivism Online Forum

Fallujah To Be Pummeled

Rate this topic

It seems some sense has been seeping into Bush's mind over the last few days.

Perhaps he was just waiting until after the election. Rightly or wrongly, being more aggressive before the election probably would have cost more votes than it would have gained.

While I am glad to see us finally do something there, I am still very discouraged by the way it is being handled. We have all but anounced in the last couple of weeks, to the terrorists and insurgants, that we are finally coming. Result? Not suprisingly many have fled out of the city. This has been documented. It also lets the ones staying there to reinforce and dig in, making it harder and consequently more deadly for our own soldiers.

We should simply have mobilized and prepared as much as possible, in as secrative way as could been done, and then tear through that city with as much suprise and overwhelming force as possible. This would kill more bad guys and save more of our own troops.

While I am glad to see us finally do something there, I am still very discouraged by the way it is being handled. We have all but anounced in the last couple of weeks, to the terrorists and insurgants, that we are finally coming. Result? Not suprisingly many have fled out of the city. This has been documented. It also lets the ones staying there to reinforce and dig in, making it harder and consequently more deadly for our own soldiers.

We should simply have mobilized and prepared as much as possible, in as secrative way as could been done, and then tear through that city with as much suprise and overwhelming force as possible. This would kill more bad guys and save more of our own troops.

If you want to do the moral thing then firebombinging and shelling the city is the best option. The ground forces should be kept around the city to help starve it out. This means the bad guys would either die from the shelling or try to break through our forces and then die.

It's like the police calling you 72 hours in advance: "Hey, we're going to be searching your house for drugs in 72 hours. We just wanted to let you know! Thanks!"

There is a great deal of desert (dozens of miles) between Fallujah and any other major city. So building tunnel systems to escape the city is pretty much out of the question. If they were building one just for Fullujah to hide in and ambush Americans, then the amount of men it would require would most certainly be seen by aircraft or satellites before it's completion.

But even if they did build it, it is unlikely they could build a ventilation system sufficient to stop the fumes and smoke from coming into the tunnels and killing them. Furthermore it is unlikely they could build it deep enough in the ground to stop the tunnels from collapsing (from the bombing and shelling) all over the place and trapping/killing everyone inside.

Perhaps he was just waiting until after the election. Rightly or wrongly, being more aggressive before the election probably would have cost more votes than it would have gained.

Inclined to disagree, as the Kerry camp tried to seize upon the opportunity that they could do a better job fighting terrorism than the Bush camp.

Bush's turning the heat up on the terrorists before the election might have been worth another 3 million votes for him.

Here is a great "embedded" story from Fallujah.  Here 

May require free registration.

I'm sure that article was written to be detrimental. Note the little blurb at the end. I'm so sick of those people who undermine the effort there while there are people in harm's way at the behest of their countries. They just can't let it go or face the fact that we've already engaged and all this chit-chat about "international law" is irrelevant.

The author does give an exciting picture of the fight, however inadvertant or ill-motivated it is.

1.jpg

Above is a map from the BBC of what has happened thus far. We moved in on sunday to take the bridges and thus cutting off their means of escape. Yesterday and Today we moved in from the outside of the city and have started pushing the enemy forces right into the city center and right against the River Euphrates. The city is surrounded, so the enemy will have to either surrendur or fight to the death, they no longer have a means of escaping. I'm just hoping there are a lot of them there to kill.

This following link is a high resolution image of Fullujah from Digital Globe:

http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/qb/al_f...ov5_2004_dg.jpg

Supposedly up to 1200 insurgents have been killed with another 400 left. Sadly 25 US soldiers have been killed.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,138471,00.html

I don't want to belittle the deaths on our side, but these numbers are amazing. Astounding. I know I've been pessimistic about our military's performance in the past, but there's no longer any denying the great job our troops are doing. I get the free email news blurbs from TIA, where I read that after Najaf and the First Battle of Fallujah, our military learned the hard way to fight blitzkreig-style (3GW), which explains the great success at Samarra and now at Fallujah.

Where did you hear this?

Here Guerilla's Paradise, among other places. Here's an excerpt:

Another risky part of the American tactics -- although in this scenario the risk is cultural and political -- is the military's willingness to fire on mosques if insurgents fire from them first. No matter the justification of such tactics under international law, images or reports of U.S. soldiers firing on mosques does not play well in Iraq, the Muslim world at large or in many non-Muslim countries around the world, where anti-war feeling is high.

That's a price the commanders are prepared to pay if it means allowing their soldiers to defend themselves fully.

At one stage on Friday morning, insurgents fired at Apache 14 from a mosque. Under the military's rules of engagement, American soldiers are permitted to fire on any of Fallujah's 77 mosques if insurgents shoot from them first.

"They brought this ---- to themselves," Rainey said in the afternoon, visibly upset by casualties his battalion had just sustained. "Every mosque we found weapons inside. They're the ones who don't respect Islam, not us."

• 3 weeks later...
I cannot believe what I am hearing, you sad vvankers.

I would like to see your yellow f*ckin ass in Fallujah.

People are dying... It is not a f*cking game !!!

You are obvoiously just a stupid little boy who knows, or could never comprehend  the horrors of war.  Go get a life asshole !!! :D

Perhaps you could point out where anyone said this war was a game? Or perhaps not.