Objectivism Online Forum

First Amendment "protects" rights of funeral protesters?

Rate this topic

Makes sense to me. Maybe you're just missing something.

No, not missing anything, except a rational explanation from you outside of your obvious political bias.

That it "makes sense to you" is meaningless. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts.

I've put forth in reasoned terms why your sweeping assumption about a large group of people based on a recent judicial appointment (as stated here) doesn't make any sense.

If one can gage what most Republicans are like by a single judicial appointment by GWBush. Then I can rightly assume the majority of Democrats are repulsive, trollish, quasi-dyke facists with no legitimate experience to be holding whatever position they happen to be in at any given moment due to Kagan's recent appointment.

Heck, I could even assert that based on Phelp's prominence (from a newsworthiness perspective)the fact that he has always been a democrat, used to hold democrat fundraisers and was a prominent Al Gore supporter that the majority of democrats support what he believes..

But that would, as I stated, not make any damn sense.

As to the case itself, of course these evil dirtbags are protected by the first amendment. I don't think it is unreasonable that the case came to court though. There is legal precedent for "fighting words" not being deemed prtoected speech. I'm glad the justices issued the correct ruling, but given that precedent existed I can hardly blame the grieving families for bringing it to the test.

Edit:clarified a point

Edited by SapereAude

• 1 month later...

Then again, you can always fight protests this way: My link The Patriot Guard Riders have been useful as serveing as a buffer between the Westboro Inbreds and the funeral procession line. And, always at the invitation of the berieved families.

Incidently, if you can set aside the references to God, this is a worthy song & vid:

Edited by Yitzhak Finnegan