Objectivism Online Forum

Television Programs

Rate this topic

There is a new TV drama called "House" (3-4 episodes so far) it is on FOX right now (Tuesdays at 9pm). I HIGHLY reccommend it. The lead character is a type of Sherlock Holmes/Doctor. He is highly intelligent, anti-social, quite ruthless, and commtted to solutions to medical emergencies that arise. He is a master at medicine, but not only that, there is also a genius in the way he handles the interns and doctors that are subordinate to him. Regardless of his lack of "people skills," he has the obvious respect for his subordinates. This show is an example of romanticism, while other medical shows in the past (ER, St Elsewhere) were very naturalistic (dealing with all of the hot social and political topics of the moment), this show deals with medical essentials. And, more specifically, it upholds the value of the scientific approach.

There is a new TV drama called "House" (3-4 episodes so far) it is on FOX right now (Tuesdays at 9pm).  I HIGHLY reccommend it.  The lead character is a type of Sherlock Holmes/Doctor.  He is highly intelligent, anti-social, quite ruthless, and commtted to solutions to medical emergencies that arise.  He is a master at medicine, but not only that, there is also a genius in the way he handles the interns and doctors that are subordinate to him.  Regardless of his lack of "people skills," he has the obvious respect for his subordinates.  This show is an example of romanticism, while other medical shows in the past (ER, St Elsewhere) were very naturalistic (dealing with all of the hot social and political topics of the  moment), this show deals with medical essentials.  And, more specifically, it upholds the value of the scientific approach.

Durande, thanks for the tip. Just finished watching it. Excellent show! :D

I'll check it out. I could never get into ER.

But I'll list my favorit shows:

Drama:

1. Law and Order

2. Crossing Jordan

3. Law and Order:SVU

4. Law and Order: Criminal Intent

5. LAX (Heather Locklear and Blair Underwood; I don't know if they moved this show or cancelled it)

Sitcoms:

Current:

1. Scrubs

2. Will and Grace

3. Malcolm in the Middle

4. Arrested Development

5. That 70's Show

Old:

Frasier, Cheers, Seinfeld, Cosby, MASH.

Can't think of anymore,

Americo.

P.S. To this day I have never seen The Mary Tyler Moore show but I read somewhere that Harry Binswanger liked it.

5.  LAX (Heather Locklear and Blair Underwood; I don't know if they moved this show or cancelled it)

I enjoyed the show but it did get cancelled.

One nice thing now is shows (ex. Firefly and Greg the Bunny) are being released on dvd even if the shows didn't last long at all. I have a feeling this is all thanks to how cheap it is to produce dvd's now and the power of internet marketing.

Love this show! Haven't missed an episode yet. I think its funny that they're calling him the Sherlock Holmes of Medicine because I read in a biography of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that he actually based Holmes on one of his professors in Med School. I believe his name was Dr. Joseph Bell. They would bring in a man and the doctor would say things like "This man is a left-handed cobbler...shown by the dust on his hands and worn palm on his left hand versus the right one" (something along those lines). Anyhow......GREAT SHOW...recommend it to all! :santa:

I enjoyed the show but it did get cancelled.

One nice thing now is shows (ex. Firefly and Greg the Bunny) are being released on dvd even if the shows didn't last long at all. I have a feeling this is all thanks to how cheap it is to produce dvd's now and the power of internet marketing.

I am surprised that it was cancelled since the reality show Airline is popular. The viewing public can enjoy that but not a good drama about airports! There were good stories, with high stakes, there was morality, there was sexual tension, and Locklear had this attractive Dagny-quality.

I wonder if some government agency had something to do with it because some of the stories were against the government bureaucracy that has too high demands for American airports.

Too bad,

Americo.

I am surprised that it was cancelled since the reality show Airline is popular.  The viewing public can enjoy that but not a good drama about airports! 

I love the original British show Airport. One of the people was an Aeroflot employee. Eek. It did go to show a competent employee can make any company a success. The Southwest employees in the US show make me really appreciate them when I fly. It reminds me of my job at times but in a funny way.

I try to avoid my television set, but I occasionally watch Law and Order and always try to catch some of the old British shows:

Are you being served?, Yes, Prime Minister, Black Adder, and Monty Python's Flying Circus.

If you're really lucky you may catch Mastermind, the only game show worth watching.