Objectivism Online Forum

Capitalism Magazine

Rate this topic

They "publish" many articles by conservatives, not just by Objectivists. If you understand that context, you'll be fine.

There is usually a qualifying statement, a disclaimer to that effect.

A recent article on forced state abortions in China by Michelle Malkin comes to mind, where Capitalism Magazine posts a disclaimer at the end of the article.

I think it's noble policy. :pimp:

Capitalism Magazine posts many articles of great value, including their sub-sections on issues like the UN, the draft and others. You're correct.. at the end of some articles there will be a disclaimer. I find that it's a wealth of useful information even not from the Objectivist point of view. Dr. Williams essays, for example, are excellent and so are Thomas Sowells even though they aren't Objectivists.

I find capmag incredibly repetitive and I think most of the artictles are far too basic for anyone who would be interested in reading a capitalism site, but they do put something half-decent up every now and then. However it gets kind of annoying to read when the first half of almost every single article is an explanation of where rights come from or some other Objectivism 101 type thing. As to the individial essays, the quality varies widely so there arent really any general 'disclaimers' you can be given. For instance I would generally expect an article by (say) John Lewis or Robert Trackinski to be a lot better than something by someone like Alexander Marriott, but if you spend a few weeks reading it then you'll get your own idea of who consistently writes things that are worth your time.

(edit: my original post had Walter Williams as someone who I thought wrote poor quality articles, but I was confusing him with someone else).

Edited by Hal

I have found some good authors there. Thomas Sowell (in my opinion) appears to favor "conservatives" but he's an excellent economist. I've read two of his books for the general public: "Basic Economics" and "Applied Economics". Compared to my engineering economics text from college they were light, yet still educational. I enjoy the investing articles by James K. Glassman (although I don't think he writes articles anymore) and even bought his book "The secret code of the superior investor".

In order to prevent this post from being moved to "book reviews", back to Cap Mag. I enjoy the articles and find them a good reinforcement of reason in a world of irrational people. I actually found that site before I found this one, so I've been reading it since about 2001.

As for the quality and reputation, don't forget, he relies on donations to support the site. He's always performing a trade-off in deciding how to spend limited resources.

Demetrius